Premed 101 Forums

Social Events

Guest PARTY cal

Guest PARTY cal

Can one of the mods please tell me if there is any difference b/w the Friday Night Social (March 28) and the Saturday Night Social (March 30). Do we need to attend both?

thanks

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, like UWOMED2005 said, both nights' events are mandatory or else you're cut.

Okay, I'm lying. The social events will consist of a dinner in the early evening and then a little shindig later on. What and where these great festivities will be happening will be determined very shortly, but the main idea is to give interviewees a chance to meet with, hang out and chat with current UWO students in an informal setting. The events are definitely not mandatory, but I'd strongly suggest that interviewees consider attending because last year I found that the socials were the best opportunity to meet and get to know the character of the students of the school you may very well end up attending. More details will be posted on the UWO prospective students site just as soon as they become available!

Seeing as how we 2006ers are finally out from under the oppressive thumb of 3rd quarter, we can now focus all of our energies into making our admissions weekends the best on earth! Stay tuned! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest PARTY cal

Hi Timmy,

Thanks for the info. I am definitely interested in these social events, however since I am coming from out west I can only attend the Sat eve social (I have classes on Friday)...I was thinking that there were two social evenings in case people were unable to make one or the other.

Guest therealcrackers

That is usually the case; last year a couple of people were down for the whole weekend and came out to both events, but for the most part it's one or the other. Most came out the night before their interview to relax, spend some time with their billeter and the other candidates. Others came out only after their Saturday interview, once the tension was gone. It's a lot of fun, a chance to connect with the people who would be your classmates and those who would be a year above you. It's a pretty social crowd; we thought class of 2005 was lively (that's us); class of 2006 takes the cake (and the tequila shot at last call!). It'll be fun!

Guest MayFlower1

Timmymax, UWOMED2005,

These socials sound like fun...can I get an honorary invitation :b ? Just joking...I wish UofO did something similar...it sounds like a great opportunity to meet folks. I can tell you, if I were mobile I'd definitely consider Western...you guys have great team spirit.

Peter

Guest Kirsteen

Hi you guys,

I second Peter's motion... My perception of UWO meds is that you guys really seem to completely kick bum with respect to collegiality. Brilliant!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest TimmyMax

Yeah sure, show up! The more, the merrier, and it would be great to finally get the chance to meet both of you in person!!! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks for the invite TimmyMax...

...actually, London is out of scope for the next few months...I will be in town in the summer for a friend's wedding though...I'd love to hook up with a bunch of you if you're around...

Peter

Guest therealcrackers

Mayflower aka Peter,

That would be wonderful. Hopefully we can toast your successful admission to a certain medical school; let us know when you'll be around. I will be back and forth between Toronto and London (much like this week), and would enjoy meeting you if the schedules and stellar alignments permit.

Guest aneliz

Hey Peter,

Sounds good! I will be in London all summer. Let me know when you will be in town!

As for the earlier questions, there will likely be some variation in venue between the two social nights...so they will not be identical to each other. But, you don't need to feel that you are going to be missing anything if you can only make it out to one. The intent of the evening is to give you an opportunity to meet some other applicants and some of the med students and get a chance to relax and have some fun. Don't worry if you can't make it out to both, but I would strongly encourage you to try and make it to one of the two nights. Our class is really excited to meet all of you! (They have already signed up to attend...and it looks like there are 50+ people from our class planning to attend the social events each night...) If there is one thing that the class of 2K6 is good at it is definitely having a good time!

More details with regards to the social events will be up on the prospective student site ASAP.

Guest MayFlower1

aneliz, therealcrakers, UWOMED2005, TimmyMax,

I would LOVE to meet you guys...what's that HOT spot in london...I've forgotten...a small bar...good martinis...etc.

I have to tell you...when I hear you guys banter back and forth...listen to how well you support each other...your school...candidates, etc...I am very sad that I can't apply to western.

My wife was a Western graduate (gold medalist in genetics...kinda makes you wanna barf...along side of her RCA in piano, medical degree...oh, and by the way...she got the highest LMCC mark in Ottawa...and if that weren't enough...she has picked up cello and mastered it in about 6 months...opened her own practice and is making huge bucks...oh my god...and me with my measly half-dozen US patents...) and she brought me through the campus last summer when we were up for a wedding...what a massive and beautiful campus it is!

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all this summer...I'll definitely let you know when I'm coming down...and by that time I'll know whether I'm "IN" or "JUST ANOTHER MED WANNABE FAILURE" :rolleyes (just joking)...regardless of whether I get in or not I'd love to meet you for many, many, drinks in London!

Peter

Guest lcloh

You're thinking of the Martini Bar. We'll take you to a real class favourite - Jim Bob Ray's. No fancy dressing, no frivolity, just nothing but good times, good drinks, and good music! :)

Guest MayFlower1

Icloh,

That sounds amazing. Actually, though, it wasn't the martini bar...for the life of me, I can't remember the name.

I look forward to meeting you all...I'll post here a few weeks before I'm down.

Peter

Guest aneliz

The most popular spot for martini's with the meds classes is definitely the martini bar above the Mongolian grill....good times! There are tons of good spots though...and Jim Bob Ray's is not necessarily one of them (unless you aim to get REALLY drunk....) We as a class are still out discovering places....you know, we've only been here 6 months and those darn classes get in the way of a good party sometimes....;)

Guest MayFlower1

analiz,

Please let me know where the best martinis are...I kinda like them...especially Cosmos... :b

I hope to be able to share a few and some great yummies with you and your classmates.

Peter

Guest lcloh

Aneliz: speak for yourself, when you live in this town as long as I have, you know all the bars already! :P Hehehe. just kidding... but yeah, our class seems to have an aversion for some really good bars... go figure? :)

Not the Martini Bar Mr. Mayflower? Hmm... was it downtown or uptown?

Guest UWOMED2005

Could it be the Runt Club? Chauncey Smith's? Or maybe it has closed. . . beyond the Martini Bar, I can't think of many good martini places in London.

Guest therealcrackers

are you forgetting upstairs at the Mongolian Grill?

or forget that, I have a shaker and can get my hands on a variety of liquors and liqueurs... why not my basement? And hey, UWOMED2005, remember what it looked like at the post-exam party...

Guest UWOMED2005

Umm, Crackers. . .

Upper stairs Mongolian = Martini Bar

As far as I know, the place literally has NO name - so all of Upper Mongolian, the Martini Bar, no-name bar, or "place where everyone dresses up to pretends it's really swanky but in fact it's pretty seedy" would work.

Guest MayFlower1

ha ha...UWOMeds2005...you're a scream...

...perhaps we could just not dress up...buy our own booze...collect some great tunes...I could bring my guitar...some sushi...and see what happens?

Peter

Guest therealcrackers

Works for me too... I'll even supply the location and the glassware... maybe not so much for social events over the interview weekends (although one of the houses on the "tour" is just up the street), but over the summer, for sure...

Archived