Premed 101 Forums

What are your thoughts on McMaster PT program?

On 5/14/2021 at 9:19 PM, PTAppsStressed said:

Hello! I wanted to learn more about mcmaster's problem-based learning. To be honest, I've never been in that kind of learning environment before. I am a little but hesitant to accept, so I was wondering if anyone had any specific thoughts about it? 

Good post! I haven't really looked into what are all PT schools different learning models. Do you know learning models other schools are using? Is PBL a really new way of learning? 

On 5/18/2021 at 3:35 AM, Veryshawn said:

Good post! I haven't really looked into what are all PT schools different learning models. Do you know learning models other schools are using? Is PBL a really new way of learning? 

Hi! From what I know, PBL is basically small group-based, self-learning way of teaching– instead of having a professor spoon-feed you information, you have a case study with objectives and have to research the information yourself.

Some pro's I've heard:

• more accurate to a real-life setting, thus better preparing you for the actual profession
  • become better and more self-driven learner / researcher
  • reduced class hours
  • develops interpersonal, communication skills for professional and personal development

Cons that I've heard:

• lack of structure (hence, self-driven)
  • takes a lot of initiative
  • could have bad case-studies
  • there might be some conflict within small groups because some students try to one-up other students

Hi there! Current Mac student here :) 

To add to what was already mentioned, PBL is typically used in problem based tutorials (PBT) which is one course out of 4-5 courses you take in a unit. All the other courses are your typical didactic learning style where the professor gives a lecture. It’s just pbt where the class is divided into groups of ~6 students that meet twice a week with a tutor (who is either a physio in the community or a prof in the program). During the tutorial, we open a case scenario every 2-3 weeks (For a total of about 5 case scenarios in a unit), we create learning objectives, and then each one of us researches those learning objectives outside of tutorial time and comes back to the next tutorial ready to discuss those learning objectives. The tutor helps guide you and makes sure that you’re covering all of the content that you need to cover. The tutor is there for the sole purpose of helping you, but the students are still the ones facilitating the entire discussion.

I came into this program knowing almost nothing about pbt and I was quite scared of it initially. It is definitely a learning curve and takes quite a while to research and prepare for every tutorial, but i fully believe in it because it truly makes you an active member in your learning. Personally, I find that it’s way easier for me to remember something that I’ve researched and discussed with others than to remember something that I learned in a lecture. It also improves your skills in discussion and critical thinking. And as a plus, you stay in the same group for an entire unit so you get very close to them.

Hope this helps! Tried to cover as much as I can about the structure of pbt/what to expect, but feel free to message me for more details or if you have any other questions :) 

6 hours ago, PLT said:

Hi there! Current Mac student here :) 

To add to what was already mentioned, PBL is typically used in problem based tutorials (PBT) which is one course out of 4-5 courses you take in a unit. All the other courses are your typical didactic learning style where the professor gives a lecture. It’s just pbt where the class is divided into groups of ~6 students that meet twice a week with a tutor (who is either a physio in the community or a prof in the program). During the tutorial, we open a case scenario every 2-3 weeks (For a total of about 5 case scenarios in a unit), we create learning objectives, and then each one of us researches those learning objectives outside of tutorial time and comes back to the next tutorial ready to discuss those learning objectives. The tutor helps guide you and makes sure that you’re covering all of the content that you need to cover. The tutor is there for the sole purpose of helping you, but the students are still the ones facilitating the entire discussion.

I came into this program knowing almost nothing about pbt and I was quite scared of it initially. It is definitely a learning curve and takes quite a while to research and prepare for every tutorial, but i fully believe in it because it truly makes you an active member in your learning. Personally, I find that it’s way easier for me to remember something that I’ve researched and discussed with others than to remember something that I learned in a lecture. It also improves your skills in discussion and critical thinking. And as a plus, you stay in the same group for an entire unit so you get very close to them.

Hope this helps! Tried to cover as much as I can about the structure of pbt/what to expect, but feel free to message me for more details or if you have any other questions :) 

Thank you so so so so so so much!! I was honestly so dumb because I thought that the entire curriculum is PBL, but to find out that it's only one course????! I'm definitely going to be accepting mcmaster. You've honestly helped me so much, I can't even express it. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, PTAppsStressed said:

Thank you so so so so so so much!! I was honestly so dumb because I thought that the entire curriculum is PBL, but to find out that it's only one course????! I'm definitely going to be accepting mcmaster. You've honestly helped me so much, I can't even express it. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Of course!! Before accepting my offer I also thought it was the entire curriculum. I was like what do profs do if students are doing everything.....? LOL, but no definitely not. It’s just PBT, and it’s hard at first but so rewarding. 

Welcome to the Mac PT fam :) reach out if you need anything! 

On 5/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, PTAppsStressed said:

Hi! From what I know, PBL is basically small group-based, self-learning way of teaching– instead of having a professor spoon-feed you information, you have a case study with objectives and have to research the information yourself.

Some pro's I've heard:

• more accurate to a real-life setting, thus better preparing you for the actual profession
  • become better and more self-driven learner / researcher
  • reduced class hours
  • develops interpersonal, communication skills for professional and personal development

Cons that I've heard:

• lack of structure (hence, self-driven)
  • takes a lot of initiative
  • could have bad case-studies
  • there might be some conflict within small groups because some students try to one-up other students

Thank you so much. I need to look into the curriculum now after accepting my offer! Looks like a fun course of self-driven style learning. I am sure you will love it!