Premed 101 Forums

What pre med program and school should I go to?

I have been browsing programs and I don't know which program I should choose. I was thinking about Biomedical Science, and the schools I was considering for this programs were University of Ottawa, Ryerson, Waterloo, and University of Guelph. What undergrad would prepare me for med school and MCAT, and what school will allow me to have a high GPA?

6 hours ago, HopefulyaDoctor said:

What undergrad would prepare me for med school and MCAT, and what school will allow me to have a high GPA?

The second factor is far more important than the first. No undergrad is really useful for medical school (although some programs are designed as "premed" and have networking opportunities, etc), and the MCAT can be prepared outside of school if you don't think you can get 4.0s in bio/phys/chem.

Hi there! The truth is no undergrad will prepare you the best for the MCAT or first year medical school content, each one likely has its own benefits (however Mac Health Sci does seem to turn out a lot of 1st time successful candidates-- Though I know nothing about this program). What I can speak on is that I went to Waterloo for Biomed, and there are 3 or so other students in my class who also did. With respect to first year, I have struggled very little with the physiology and some of the pathology and have really felt like I have just brushing up on what I learned through my undergrad. I am sure a lot of other students feel the same as well regardless of the program they chose, but I do feel like Biomed at Waterloo prepared me very well for the physiologic, basic sciences , and anatomic (including histology! Waterloo has an amazing and mandatory histology course that includes a lab) and embryologic side of medical school. The MCAT is almost entirely self study anyways -- it barely reflects what you learn in undergrad OR medical school so I would not base your program on that. Hope that helps!

I go to uottawa for BSc. human kinetics and it is decently hard to get a good GPA. Biomed at ottawa is notoriously hard and known as a GPA killer. Most biomed students at uO will drop out of biomed when they realize how hard it is to keep up a high GPA. Idk much about the other programs.

On 5/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, FingersCrossedPls said:

Hi there! The truth is no undergrad will prepare you the best for the MCAT or first year medical school content, each one likely has its own benefits (however Mac Health Sci does seem to turn out a lot of 1st time successful candidates-- Though I know nothing about this program). What I can speak on is that I went to Waterloo for Biomed, and there are 3 or so other students in my class who also did. With respect to first year, I have struggled very little with the physiology and some of the pathology and have really felt like I have just brushing up on what I learned through my undergrad. I am sure a lot of other students feel the same as well regardless of the program they chose, but I do feel like Biomed at Waterloo prepared me very well for the physiologic, basic sciences , and anatomic (including histology! Waterloo has an amazing and mandatory histology course that includes a lab) and embryologic side of medical school. The MCAT is almost entirely self study anyways -- it barely reflects what you learn in undergrad OR medical school so I would not base your program on that. Hope that helps!

For biomed at waterloo, is it three years or four? Also how hard is it to maintain a high gpa 

On 6/2/2021 at 2:20 PM, HopefulyaDoctor said:

For biomed at waterloo, is it three years or four? Also how hard is it to maintain a high gpa 

It is 4 years. All honors programs are in Ontario I believe, unless it is a co-op and then it may be 5+. It is pretty challenging, but getting a 3.85-4.0 at any school will be challenging IMO! Better to go where you can see yourself being happy and able to do good work, because if you aren't happy somewhere, it will be infinitely harder.