Premed 101 Forums

Master's Completion Prior to Medical School

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can confirm the graduate student policy at Uottawa med? Up until now I also knew that ottawa didnt care if you completed your master's as long as you have your undergrad complete with the required courses. However, I am getting paranoid, so wanted to ask if anyone has directly asked admissions? I would finish my master's early august!

5 hours ago, HopingForBest said:

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can confirm the graduate student policy at Uottawa med? Up until now I also knew that ottawa didnt care if you completed your master's as long as you have your undergrad complete with the required courses. However, I am getting paranoid, so wanted to ask if anyone has directly asked admissions? I would finish my master's early august!

I was just accepted to Ottawa this cycle and I am also in the process of finishing a 24-month MSc. It varies by graduate program, but the main thing is that you cannot be enrolled as both a graduate student and med student simultaneously. So you need to meet the requirements for your program where you are no longer enrolled in that program. For me, once I submitted my thesis for evaluation I was no longer enrolled in the term (or future terms). You can defend whenever and confer your actual degree later on into the fall if needed, as long as it is submitted prior to the end of August to ensure that you do not need to enrol in an additional graduate term.

9 hours ago, HopingForBest said:

Thank you for your reply! I am on the waitlist so just in case I get off wanted to make sure I was safe. So as long as I finish my program before Sept I would be fine? I’m wondering why this is not on the website :mellow:

I think it’s not listed because they are pretty flexible, unlike some other schools (i.e., western & UofT)- I’ve heard of some completing undergrad courses while enrolled in med too at Ottawa, so as long as you are preparing to defend before end of august you should be fine :)