Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS- from MOTP/Canadian forces

Just wondering if somebody could clarify it-  if you signup with MOTP(military officer training program), you have to do FM residency. And after serving CF for 3-4 years,  you can apply for another residency. Now, as I am seeing-  you can't apply to CaRMS in first-round, right? I also noted that if you have a license, you can't apply to any residency program in ON and QC. But I probably know( I am not totally sure on it) that some of the CF medical officers( who had FM  residency and worked as FM for few years) are doing second residency in ON. How is it possible( if I am right) ?

Thank you  

1 hour ago, Johnboy said:

Just wondering if somebody could clarify it-  if you signup with MOTP(military officer training program), you have to do FM residency. And after serving CF for 3-4 years,  you can apply for another residency. Now, as I am seeing-  you can't apply to CaRMS in first-round, right? I also noted that if you have a license, you can't apply to any residency program in ON and QC. But I probably know( I am not totally sure on it) that some of the CF medical officers( who had FM  residency and worked as FM for few years) are doing second residency in ON. How is it possible( if I am right) ?

From what I understand, a possible second residency is dependent on military staffing needs and performance up to that point.

So, there are only a limited number of residencies (including anesthesia, gen surg, rads..) that could be available (with more ROS clearly) - it's not really like a "first round" CaRMS.  

Thanks for reply @indefatigable . But I am having problem understanding- how can one apply in first-round CaRMS matching if they already have done FM residency? Cause once you do a residency, you can't apply to first-round CaRMS, am I correct?  And while you can apply to second-round, but all seats are competitive seats gone(most likely). Then, you just talked about the military needs for certain seats. 

14 minutes ago, Johnboy said:

Thanks for reply @indefatigable . But I am having problem understanding- how can one apply in first-round CaRMS matching if they already have done FM residency? Cause once you do a residency, you can't apply to first-round CaRMS, am I correct?  And while you can apply to second-round, but all seats are competitive seats gone(most likely). Then, you just talked about the military needs for certain seats. 

There must be an alternative policy for MOTP applicants.   I think they may even be supernumerary positions - i.e. military is funding directly (like for some international residencies).

3 minutes ago, indefatigable said:

There must be an alternative policy for MOTP applicants.   I think they may even be supernumerary positions - i.e. military is funding directly (like for some international residencies).

Thanks. That makes more sense.