Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Physical Sciences - high school level or university level needed?

Curveball

Hello. I hope you're all doing well. I have a question about preparing for the MCAT. In my undergrad degree, I did none of the basic science courses in physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, or biochemistry (I did take a human anatomy and physiology course, and a full year of pathophysiology). While mulling over how to approach these to prepare for the MCAT, I found that Thompson River University in BC offers online, self-paced courses that I could take with or without the lab component, which seems like ideal preparation for my circumstances. I did highschool level chemistry, so I'd take the university level course to prepare for that, but I was wondering about the level of physics seen on the MCAT. I've heard that there's no calculus on the MCAT, so I don't want to have to take a calculus-based physics course if I can avoid it, but would high-school physics be enough? TRU does offer high-school equivalent physics courses, so I'm wondering if I could get away with just taking those instead. For those who have taken the MCAT, is u-level high-school physics enough, or is there content in first and second year physics that's on the MCAT, which isn't found in the high school course? 

Any assistance is appreciated, thank you. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think high school physics would be sufficient. For example, fluids are a big part of MCAT physics, and I do not believe they are taught at the high school level (I took high school physics 10 years ago so things might have changed). I would check the MCAT Physics topic list and try to pick a course which covers many of these topics.