Premed 101 Forums

Need advice about my future pathway (Western (Canada) or AUS/USA). ADVICE IS DESPERATELY NEEDED.

Have you thought about UofT dental school? Your gpa is more competitive for them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't have a course load restriction for your top two years? That means they'll look at second and third year if you apply DURING fourth year. You have a solid gpa for them.

If you have completed four or more years study, your lowest scoring academic year will be dropped from the GPA calculation (as long as it is not your most recent year of study).

Also, they have more seats than western (double the # of seats). Your more likely to get in statically because the applicant pools should be roughly the same for both.

You must do well on the DAT, casper and essays as well however. 

7 hours ago, soccer98765439 said:

Have you thought about UofT dental school? Your gpa is more competitive for them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't have a course load restriction for your top two years? That means they'll look at second and third year if you apply DURING fourth year. You have a solid gpa for them.

If you have completed four or more years study, your lowest scoring academic year will be dropped from the GPA calculation (as long as it is not your most recent year of study).

Also, they have more seats than western (double the # of seats). Your more likely to get in statically because the applicant pools should be roughly the same for both.

You must do well on the DAT, casper and essays as well however. 

Doesn’t UOFT consider 3 years of marks?

You’re right, statistically I should apply to them as well.

Hey,

Western will not consider your year 2 GPA because it isn't full course load. They will also not consider your 4th year (if you apply this upcoming cycle) GPA because they wont have your final marks yet.

I believe you're unable to apply this cycle given your second year course load which is unfortunate because your 2nd and 3rd year GPA would be competitive for Western.

Are you 3rd year going into your 4th? My advice would be to maintain a 3.9+ GPA in your 4th year, study for your cDAT, and take the coming up summer to work on your extracurricular (although I think you have got some good stuff already maybe look for a part-time job or something). Schulich loves holistic applicants.

P.s: make sure you are constantly checking Schulich's admission website as they keep updating new info. I haven't open it in a while but I do know they have a COVID-19 change that might or might not impact your year 2 GPA.
Website: https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/dentistry/admission_requirements.html

Good luck and hopefully I get to "see" you around Schulich =) 

12 hours ago, iwanttogotodentalschoolpls said:

I think I can eventually get into a USA/AUS school, but I want to give Western a last chance before I give it up :(

First year GPA: 3.66/4

Second year GPA: 3.92/4, HOWEVER, I only took 9/10 courses (not a full courseload)

Third year GPA: 3.94/4

Fourth year: ?

I've already taken both anat/phys, but haven't taken organic chem and biochem yet.

Given my situation:

1. Should I take organic chem in the summer (if I take orgo in the school year, it'll demolish my cGPA and it'll count). Western doesn't seem to consider summer GPA at all.

2. Am I correct that my 3rd and 4th year GPA's (likely my best 2 years) will be used?

3. My fourth year will liekly be one of my top 2 GPA years. In this case, I don't believe my marks would get submitted/processed in time before applications. Would I have to wait until the next year to apply?

5. If I take a 5th year full of bird courses, will that boost my GPA further? Is this bad for admissions to look at?

6. If I maintain my top 2 years GPA at around a 3.94, am I competitive?

My other stats:

1. Research assistant at a lab

2. President of a club 

3. 200+ shadowing hours at 2 GP's and 1 ortho clinic.

4. Hundreds of hours of volunteering

CDAT: Haven't written yet.

3 hours ago, w55 said:

Hey,

Western will not consider your year 2 GPA because it isn't full course load. They will also not consider your 4th year (if you apply this upcoming cycle) GPA because they wont have your final marks yet.

I believe you're unable to apply this cycle given your second year course load which is unfortunate because your 2nd and 3rd year GPA would be competitive for Western.

Are you 3rd year going into your 4th? My advice would be to maintain a 3.9+ GPA in your 4th year, study for your cDAT, and take the coming up summer to work on your extracurricular (although I think you have got some good stuff already maybe look for a part-time job or something). Schulich loves holistic applicants.

P.s: make sure you are constantly checking Schulich's admission website as they keep updating new info. I haven't open it in a while but I do know they have a COVID-19 change that might or might not impact your year 2 GPA.
Website: https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/med_dent_admissions/dentistry/admission_requirements.html

Good luck and hopefully I get to "see" you around Schulich =) 

So I would only be able to apply to UOFT and Western after I graduate 4th year correct? What should I do with those free months? Work? Start a masters degree (just in case)?

Bolded: I wouldn't be able to apply this cycle regardless, since  I haven't taken orgo/biochems yet.

I already have a part-time job. My lab assistant position is paid and I work 15 hours a week.

I hear a lot of people say Western emphasizes the RC portion of the CDAT, is this true?

On 8/5/2021 at 6:06 AM, iwanttogotodentalschoolpls said:

Doesn’t UOFT consider 3 years of marks?

You’re right, statistically I should apply to them as well.

If you apply DURING your fourth year, they look at top two because they drop your worst year and they don't look at fourth year since those marks aren't in. If you apply AFTER fourth year, they look at top three years.

Email them to double check and also look at their admissions page. That information was correct when I got accepted. 

1. Apply to Western for class of 202X. and some USA schools (this route is more expensive)

2. If you do not get in, you will have time to apply to Australian schools (Melb, Syd, UWA)

I'd only do #2 if you can financially do it, want to get into dentistry asap (i.e. you don't want to take a year off to work / apply to Canada again) and any other factors that are personal to you.