Premed 101 Forums

Clarification for Western's Dentistry Requirements

Hi, I am a bit confused with Western's Dentistry Requirements and I was hoping someone could help me clear my confusion.

On Western's website it says: "Each of the two years must contain at least three full-course equivalents (18 credit hours) whose published academic level is at, or above, the year of study."

I'm currently at Waterloo and there are no year-long courses (I'm assuming that's what they mean by full-course?? please correct me if I'm wrong). Courses are distributed by term so I would take classes for the Fall term (September - December) and then the Winter term (January - April). Does this mean, to satisfy this requirement, I have to take at least six courses out of ten per year whose published academic level is at, or above, the year of study? For example, if I am in my third year, I have to make sure six out of ten courses that year must be at a third year level? I'm only assuming so because lecture courses at Waterloo are each designated as 0.5 units so I'm assuming this means their half year courses?

Also, would lab courses courses count towards this requirement or are they excluded and only lecture courses are looked at? I'm assuming lab courses are excluded since they're designated as 0.25 units (so I guess it can't even be considered for a full-course equivalent?) but I just wanna make sure haha

Thanks in advance :)

I went to Waterloo. You need to have 6/10 courses in your 3rd/4th year being at 300 or 400 level. And yes, these 6 courses need to be 0.5 credits.

For Example (this is what I took):

3A

-BIOL 301, BIOL 359, BIOL 439, ECON 101, HRM 200

3B

-BIOL 302, BIOL 360, BIOL 373 (+ 373L), GEOG 207, REC 100

4A

-BIOL 303, BIOL 354, BIOL 462, ANTH 204, PSYCH 211

4B

-BIOL 355, KIN 146, KIN 310, KIN 408, PSYCH 257, ANTH 100

You can pm me if you have any further questions. 

5 hours ago, TheDiabeticDentist said:

I went to Waterloo. You need to have 6/10 courses in your 3rd/4th year being at 300 or 400 level. And yes, these 6 courses need to be 0.5 credits.

For Example (this is what I took):

3A

-BIOL 301, BIOL 359, BIOL 439, ECON 101, HRM 200

3B

-BIOL 302, BIOL 360, BIOL 373 (+ 373L), GEOG 207, REC 100

4A

-BIOL 303, BIOL 354, BIOL 462, ANTH 204, PSYCH 211

4B

-BIOL 355, KIN 146, KIN 310, KIN 408, PSYCH 257, ANTH 100

You can pm me if you have any further questions. 

Thank you so much for your reply and for also letting me know which courses you took, I really appreciate it! I'll definitely pm if I have any further questions : )