Premed 101 Forums

Extreme Extenuating Circumstances

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone applied with unusually extreme extenuating circumstances and was granted an alternative evaluation of their application? And/or was able to transfer?

I'm currently in my 4th year and doing psychology & behavioural sciences at a Canadian university I'd like to not disclose and I'm an international student and I'm still halfway through my degree.

In a nutshell:

I completed high school in 2017 in Toronto. Following graduation, I applied to Canadian universities but I also took the university placement test in my home country. I got into medicine - we can directly get in from high school but have to study for 6 years. However, my dad is a judge under fascist government backhomeand he's affiliated with politics; my parents really wanted to keep me out of the country when necessary so I accepted both offers. I deferred my Canadian admission to 2018 fall and in the meantime, I did my 1st year in medicine there. My first year gpa was 3.9 and I was very involved in extracurriculars. In 2018 a week prior to fall semester, I experienced sexual assault which was politically motivated and followed by all sorts of corruptions which created 10 more cases for crimes committed by judges. Though I recovered from the trauma fairly quickly, complications, constant legal correspondences as well as media involvement etc. led to a significant tension on my end. Shortly after, both my parents were targeted. My mom, who is a psychiatrist, went through many unjust investigations by purely fabricated motives. My dad is still going through the trial for made up crimes he's never committed in the first place.

I had to leave medicine as I couldn't physically be in the country to attend the examinations. At the institution I'm enrolled in Canada, however, I managed to maintain a gpa of 3.5 and some extracurriculars. Lately, there's been some hope towards resolution for the criminal cases recently, hence, I'm preparing to write the placement exam once again this year. It's likely I'll be able to get into med in my home country again and start from 1st year in a different institution next fall. I'll try to keep my GPA as high as possible and fulfill other requirements for the following years. 

I spoke with admission here regarding my situation and was told in what way they're going to evaluate depends on the case individually and it might be possible to disregard gpa I obtained during these incidents, given sufficient evidence is provided. So, I'm planning to apply with that record as primary if possible for the transfer, or else as an undergrad degree. Also, a psychiatry professor friend of my mother's at a different university informed me that although it's very rare, in extreme cases there's a chance for transfer. 

Has anyone been admitted or transferred under exceptional circumstances?

You can't transfer into medical school in Canada from a medical school outside of Canada. Medical school applications usually do have an option to talk about extenuating circumstances that may affect your grades, and things like being sexually assaulted would typically be considered, but generally you have to show that you are currently capable of succeeding in medical school, for instance if, as you say you have a good first year and a good 4th year, sometimes an isolated bad year may be discounted.