Premed 101 Forums

How to best proceed with residency transfer?

My school has an one residency transfer spot for for anesthesia, and I applied to that specialty last year and unfortunately did not match to Anesthesia and matched to an alternative discipline.  I am thinking of applying to the transfer spot, although I was rejected last year.  The new PD was one of my ref letter writers last year, so they know me a bit ( And they even wrote me a good ref letter last year). I was wondering if I should reach out to them to ask insight about what should I do to improve my residency transfer application for this year transfer spot... and if I have a shot this year. Is that okay?

If you want to transfer, you should reach out to their program, or have your PD reach out to their PD, although you'll have to self reflect on why you didn't match in the first place. You may have a better chance if you've performed well in residency thus far and can get glowing recommendations from your current program staff/PD.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:10 PM, carmsregrets said:

My school has an one residency transfer spot for for anesthesia, and I applied to that specialty last year and unfortunately did not match to Anesthesia and matched to an alternative discipline.  I am thinking of applying to the transfer spot, although I was rejected last year.  The new PD was one of my ref letter writers last year, so they know me a bit ( And they even wrote me a good ref letter last year). I was wondering if I should reach out to them to ask insight about what should I do to improve my residency transfer application for this year transfer spot... and if I have a shot this year. Is that okay?

Talking to the anesthesia program isn't a bad idea in this case - particularly as you may not want to yet reveal to your current program where you stand. As the PD there is limited information they can tell you of course to remain unbiased (as they should) but they still might give you an idea. Often not getting into a program is more about enough of the other candidates being slightly "better" in some fashion and some luck rather than actually being about you. In the end if you want to be in that program you should strong consider applying to move over (not that much to lose, and of course something to gain - all the logic says go for it even if scary :)