Premed 101 Forums

Any other "status indian" predents?

Guest garebear

Guest garebear

New here, just wondering if there are any other predents with indian status. I haven't seen any stats from the schools, but I do know that UofT takes this sort of thing into "special consideration" when reviewing applications. I intend on taking full advantage of this. After Honours thesis next year (4th year), should have 80% approx average for best 3 years.

Any insight into my chances (provided good DAT performance, I've been practicing), or past applicants with "indian status" would be much appreciated.

Guest kellyl20

With those stats and status I would be really surprised if you did not get in. Med, dent, law and probably a whole lot more, you have a wide range of choices.

Guest TheChosenOneDDS

in the dental school there are a couple of status indians.

and some of them have stats that are below the minimums for most people.

that is a fact.

so i'm sure you have good chances of getting in if that is what you want to do.

Guest garebear

Thanks for confirming what I already was guessing. I don't like calling it affirmative action, but I definitely have an ace up my sleeve. Thanks again you guys for taking the time to answer my question.

Guest garebear

Audio: I would definitely be serving the remote native reserves when I graduate. There's actually a program in Manitoba where my chiropractor's friend, a dentist, is working with several native reserves and getting excellent pay ($700/day), with accomodations. I'll be contacting him so that I might be able to do the same, and because I'll be working for reserves, on reserves, I won't be subjected to paying any income taxes. After a couple years I should have enough saved up to cover most of the overhead of a practice in some rural town, where I plan on spending half the year practicing in town, the other on reserve land, if possible.

Aplusdent: Yeah it gets confusing, because on government documents they still use the term "indian" when talking about aboriginals, probably just too lazy to change everything.

Archived