Premed 101 Forums

Your chances of getting in...

Guest power2005

Guest power2005

Answer honestly...where have you applied and what do you believe your chances of getting in are?

I've only applied to Dal and being a 3rd year BSc student who has a fairly good gpa, I am optimistic, however, I wrote the Feb DAT and am a bit anxious for the scores and had my interview on Saturday and feel that I did ok.

Apparently there are 75-80 interview candidates...36 seats and approx 28 for atlantic canada....

so based on that I would say my chances are about 1 in 3, however, I would feel a bit more confident if I were a 4th year student, even though they say they don't discriminate, it must mean something because alot more 3rd years would be in...I would think. Depending on my dat scores, I will feel either better :D than 1 in 3 or worse... :( :rolleyes :x

Greg

Guest Aplusdent

Sorry to be pessimistic (or maybe realistic??) but 1 in 3 sounds like a very high chance of getting in...I'm not sure how competitive it is to get into Dal....but I'd think that it would be a bit more difficult. That's just my thoughts, they may mean absolutely nothing.

Guest Adversary

Well, 1 in 3 may be realistic if the applicant is from the islands. I do know that Dalhousie favors islanders so those from Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island will have a better chance than someone from say Ontario or BC.

Guest uofmpredent

Manitoba gets about 250 applications, but if you're from Manitoba your odds are also about 1 in 3, because only 75ish of those applications are from Manitobans. And usually there are about 25 Manitobans selected.

Guest power2005

Ummm....only 75-80 received interviews.....there are 36 seats....usually 26-30 of those are for atlantic provinces....

26/80 = 0.325 which is about 1 in 3!!!

Yes, before interviews are given, it is like 26/100-200, but once the you receive an interview your chance increase to be about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 ish.

(nothing like jumping down someones throat)

Guest sensodyne

UBC is what might be considered the easiest dental school to get into in Canada. First, there is no quota for in-province students. Every applicant has an equal statistical chance of getting in. last year, 250 applied but only 200 had the pre-reqs.

out of the 200 qualified applicants, 100 were chosen for the interview. 40 offers are initially made, but many more (depending on the year) from the wait-list are offered seats during the Summer. When they were only interviewing 80 a few years ago, they even had to call back people that were not offered an interview b/c so many dropped their UBC spots. There are several good reasons why students do not wish to go to UBC (if people don't already know, you can PM me). Unlike other dental schools, UBC emphasizes that students have done some ECs just like its med school does. The interview is also worth 30% of the admissions process.

as for u of a, 85% of the seats are reserved for Alberta students. the other 10% are for OOPs and 5% are for internationals. only 30 are chosen for the program, however. this means that 3 OOPs are in the class each year. This past year, 25 OOPs were invited for the interview. I"m not sure how many actually applied though. Interview is worth only 10% of the admissions process.

I also applied to UWO, but my adobe reader doesn't seem to be working today. Let's just put it this way...it's not easy to get into UWO.

Guest wishywish82

Power,

No worries man! If they interviewed 75-80 people and from what I heard it was 75. I'm willing to bet that 25 or 30 maybe more were non-maritime apps for the 9 seats, b/c most of those peeps will be apps at other schools and with the waitlist movement etc. For instance I know for Dal med they interview 50 OOP and only let in 10.

Your chances are probably 1/2 or slightly better just like the rest of us.

Archived