Premed 101 Forums

Focused

I too am from Quebec, applied to FM and 2 competitive specialties, one of which was a surgical specialty. In MS4, I did a 2 week surgical elective, my only elective in this specialty, I was the least qualified applicant, secured my interview and was selected. You don't know where lightning will strike and I encourage you to apply to ENT and to the other specialties that interest you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :P I got my 3 interviews, 1 in each field in Quebec, and it all worked out. Applying broadly enhances your chances. Go for ENT, IM and radiology!

Applying to the QC programs this year, I noticed that the IM programs at Sherbrooke and Laval don't care about your electives.

From Sherbrooke: "Nous n'accordons aucune importance au fait que les candidats aient réalisé ou non des stages à option en médecine interne. Nous considérons les évaluations reçues lors de ces stages au même titre que les autres évaluations de stages."

From Laval: "Le fait d'avoir complété un stage en médecine interne (optionnel ou obligatoire) n'est pas un critère de sélection des dossiers. Ceci est encouragé par la direction de programme pour permettre au candidat de mieux connaître la pratique en médecine interne avant de s'engager dans cette formation, mais le fait d'avoir réalisé ou non un stage à option en médecine interne n'a pas d'impact sur la sélection d'un candidat."

This should mean backing up with IM is very feasible if you are open to the French schools. Sherbrooke and Laval have a lot of spots.

On the other hand, I've heard from word of mouth that it is harder to get into McGill IM if you have an elective record showing you're not committed to it. Not impossible and I know a few people who've done it but I hear it's harder.

• Focused changed the title to .