Premed 101 Forums

Hi all! I feel so annoying asking so many questions, but I just really want to understand the program ahead of time. Can anyone shed light on the logistics of clerkship? I saw in the curriculum that you are allowed to do rural placements in fam med, peds, obs and psych - would these placements be INSTEAD OF London/Windsor or IN ADDITION too (like electives?). Are rural placements less in demand/easier to get/encouraged? In theory, what percentage of clerkship could be done in rural communities? Thanks!

So for clerkship, it's a 52-week long course where we have 8 main rotations (Internal medicine, OBGYN, paeds, FM core, FM plus, psychiatry, surgery, and acute care (EM, anaesthesia) varying in length from 4-8 weeks plus 2x2weeks of open-selectives, and some vacation time. The order in which you do these rotations is decided by lottery after you submit your rank list of the different options of orders. [most people got one of their top 3]

Within some of the main rotations, there are some options/selectives still, and with the current process, we rank our preferences for selectives, open-selectives, and site locations and then those will be decided via lottery again. 

We must do a minimum of 4 weeks in a "small or midsized community outside of London or Windsor" in one of FM, general surgery, pediatrics, OBGYN, psych, or open selectives, but you may do up to 12 weeks (but apparently even this is flexible and if you wanted to do a bit more than this, it still may be possible). This is generally instead of doing the placement in London or Windsor, except perhaps in the case of open selectives. You may even do a rotation split - like half of surgery in the community (general surgery), and then the other half (surgical subspecialties) in London. Not all rotations are always available at all the different sites though too. 

There are a few more nuanced rules and things but they're not super relevant right now anyway. I wouldn't say it's a competitive process per say, but I'm not totally sure (personally I'm not stressed about getting locations or electives that I'm happy with- I'm fairly confident it'll be fine). I think if you're interested in more rural medicine, it's quite easy to get experience at Schulich and they're definitely supportive of it (and part of why they have the whole SWOMEN thing tbh). 

Feel free to message/follow up if you have more Qs! They'll also do a Q&A/info session about this type of thing around interview weekends for anyone interviewing!