Premed 101 Forums

Visiting electives 2022-2023

I have no scientific data for this, but I think it's a  terrible idea. I think it creates an "involution" and perhaps even "race to the bottom".

I think allowing electives create a better environment for movement of people to various places that evens out esoteric trends. I think it creates "market liquidity" in the CaRMS market for residency.

For example program A and B each have 3 uro spots, Uni A has 5 applicants that want Uro, Uni B has 1 applicant that want Uro. Allowing electives gives applicants from Uni A better perspective on the market, and may help Uni B recruit qualified Uro applicatns from Uni A.

Now imagine Uni A students is blinded to situation in Uni B, then it becomes a dog eat dog world at Uni A for Uro, while Uni B might even have unmatched spot in the end. So I think electives allows both parties to "gather intelligence" regarding the CaRMS market.

I am not a good economist but I am sure there are people on here who can better explain this from a math/eco perspective.

4 hours ago, Happy_go said:

What is everyone's thoughts about AFMC deciding to not allow visiting electives this year?

I'd assume for the vast majority of applicants it won't make a huge difference. The data has shown similar trends in comparison to other years with electives BUT the caveat to this is they do not to release certain specialty specific information, (e.g surgery specific applicant migratory patterns) my guess would be the data shows significant geographic preferences, and other metrics that may have changed with the removal of electives. Of course this is just my speculation.  I overall think the removal of electives will be a great decision for many ( easier on the wallet, not having to learn a new hospital every rotation, etc) but will also most likely hurt applicants applying to smaller specialties ( less networking opportunities or ability to show face)