Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waterloo campus for those interested in tech?

Hi! I was wondering if being a part of the Waterloo campus at McMaster would allow me to interact with the tech scene in the Waterloo University/Community?

Would love to do something tech-related while at McMaster, would you recommend the Waterloo campus? Or is it too busy etc to get involved in tech?

is there any way I would be able to combine an MD degree at Mac with an MSc in data science / courses at the university of Waterloo, or would any involvement be limited to extracurriculars?

thanks!

Can't speak to the availability of tech interaction at Waterloo but you could possibly have the option of taking a year off of medical school during clerkship to do a one year masters, but you won't have time to do a masters during medical school with the 3 year dense program. I would also strongly suggest holding off on such a masters until residency or after, as your priority during medical school is do build a residency application, and having a masters in data science is going to have a negligible impact on the match, unless it's a research masters with a thesis project directly related to your specialty of choice.

Long story short, I think you should choose your desired campus for other reasons, but happy to have people who went to waterloo campus chime in.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2022 at 8:52 PM, Trustworthy said:

Hi! I was wondering if being a part of the Waterloo campus at McMaster would allow me to interact with the tech scene in the Waterloo University/Community?

Would love to do something tech-related while at McMaster, would you recommend the Waterloo campus? Or is it too busy etc to get involved in tech?

is there any way I would be able to combine an MD degree at Mac with an MSc in data science / courses at the university of Waterloo, or would any involvement be limited to extracurriculars?

thanks!

You can definitely add on an extra year to do a MSc at Waterloo in data science. Do it only if you truly see a use for it however, they are all too happy to take your money and give you a few extra letters, but you get what you put in. It isn't something that will honestly help you get into residency or staff job, because its use case isn't really that well established yet among the medical establishment unlike a MSc in Epi. However, if you are able to actually understand both fields well (and most MD students can't), you could seriously become a unique asset.

On a side note, data science is a pretty hot field however, so if you are seriously planning on using it, do it now, just know what you are going there to learn and make it happen.

Ultimately, I don't think the WRC has much to do with UW other than being near it, but proximity is huge if you are motivated and willing to be the driver. I don't think anyone will hold your hand but if you are a self starter, definitely you'd be able to make something work while there.

On 3/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, bearded frog said:

Can't speak to the availability of tech interaction at Waterloo but you could possibly have the option of taking a year off of medical school during clerkship to do a one year masters, but you won't have time to do a masters during medical school with the 3 year dense program. I would also strongly suggest holding off on such a masters until residency or after, as your priority during medical school is do build a residency application, and having a masters in data science is going to have a negligible impact on the match, unless it's a research masters with a thesis project directly related to your specialty of choice.

Long story short, I think you should choose your desired campus for other reasons, but happy to have people who went to waterloo campus chime in.

I would disagree! My experience in tech greatly helped me during the interviews :) Makes the candidate more interesting