Premed 101 Forums

MUN obs/gyn

Nowa

7 hours ago, Nowa said:

Anyone have any insight into the program ? Strengths/weaknesses? 

Hi! I interviewed at MUN this year and attended the info sessions, so my info is limited to that but hopefully it helps:

Pros: Great PD and residents, really nice interview experience overall, felt very much like a closeknit vibe. The program trains generalists overall but I got the impression that the staff are flexible and do their best to ensure their residents have subspecialty exposure and can be competitive for fellowship. Also opportunity to do a masters in clinical epi, international electives, etc. What's nice about the program is they have staff-based teams so allows for early networking and staff get to know you fairly quickly. They also have a mentorship program. 

Cons: Newfoundland can feel isolating, need a car to get around/no public transit and not a walkable city as per residents (not sure if this is a con for you). Also, as you could probably guess, the volume and exposure is not the same as you would get in a big city. 

Hope this helps!

Anecdotally know several people who wanted obs (irrespective of location) but matched FM. I wonder if it was a bit of a miss from MUN either with their interview invites or ROL that would result in people who prioritized obs as a specialty not matching into it and MUN having a left over spot. But you never know, and that isn't necessarily a reason that you shouldn't apply.

This might not be the reason for this cycle, but when you look at Newfoundland from a macroscopic perspective, it's a province with the oldest population, and per 2021 census, its population is in a steady decline. Add those 2 factors together and I wonder what the volume is like for obstetrics and pediatrics there? 

The projection calls for population of Newfoundland to decrease from 500K to 300K in the next decades. It's already in a tough financial spot and family docs are leaving there rapidly. While I think it's a wonderful place with wonderful people, unless something dramatic happens people who train/work there will be facing many hurdles.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/fin/economics/pop-overview/