Premed 101 Forums

How do I choose a second degree major?

Hello everyone,

I am a 4th year undergrad student who really struggled with my major. The biggest reason why I struggled with it was I didn't really enjoy it and I found the tasks most of the time daunting. When I took courses from different majors in my undergrad degree, I really enjoyed them and even got higher marks in them when the averages were really low. The problem is, I don't know how to select a second degree major. Any tips?

If you are in your 4th year, and your GPA is not competitive, I would not recommend doing another major at the same university. It will be next to impossible to bring up your GPA significantly, as there will be 4 years of mediocre grades pulling you down. *Of course you can also only apply to schools that consider your last 2 years, or weight your years differently etc.. but that's obviously significantly limiting your options.

I'd recommend switching universities and starting your new major there if that is an option. Pursue a major that you enjoy, but also where you can get good grades. I mean after 4 years of undergrad, you probably have an idea of subjects in which you excel?