Premed 101 Forums

Question about transfer process

I am in a royal college discipline and applied to transfer to a different school in Ontario, same specialty.

After the interview the PD said the decision has been submitted to PGME, and asked me to wait to hear from them.

It has been almost 2 weeks... I emailed PGME but was told the external transfer process in still underway, so no timeline can be given.

I am wondering if anyone knows how long would that take? I am imagining probably funding is limited, and many PDs probably submitted many candidates, and PGME will need to choose which candidates they decide to fund?  Very anxiously waiting... 

Thank you very much. 

Anxious inquiet GIF - Find on GIFER

Impossible to say. You are correct that it needs to go up the food chain, from PD, either accepting or passing, up to PGME, who may have funding for X residents with X+Y requests from PDs in various programs. Unlike CaRMS these are internal procedures so they don't have a defined timeline or deadlines. Waiting is hard! My sympathies.

Thank you so much! I wonder if you hear many stories of people get rejected by PGME after accepted by PD? 
probably over-analyzing things here

11 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Impossible to say. You are correct that it needs to go up the food chain, from PD, either accepting or passing, up to PGME, who may have funding for X residents with X+Y requests from PDs in various programs. Unlike CaRMS these are internal procedures so they don't have a defined timeline or deadlines. Waiting is hard! My sympathies.

2 hours ago, TransferRes said:

Thank you so much! I wonder if you hear many stories of people get rejected by PGME after accepted by PD? 
probably over-analyzing things here

I suspect they just don't say where the no came from. I think lots of programs would probably be happy to have additional residents if they had the funding, but they're limited by the powers that be.

That happened recently in our program. External resident came for elective, PD says yes please come, but university denied due to lack of funding. We have been able to take residents in transfer from other institutions in the past, last time we had a transfer was about 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, ChemPetE said:

That happened recently in our program. External resident came for elective, PD says yes please come, but university denied due to lack of funding. We have been able to take residents in transfer from other institutions in the past, last time we had a transfer was about 5 years ago.

I can’t imagine how devastated that resident must feel! I can only hope the school I am applying can share with me some good news…