Premed 101 Forums

Second Degree Advice/Success Stories

Hi there,

Going to share my story in a nutshell. I was a first generation student that went to U of T for life sciences and graduated in 2015 with a 3.0 GPA. I spent a solid 6 years applying to grad schools programs and PA school here, and took a few stabs at applying to McMaster medicine. I've built up ample experience in healthcare during these years. However, my low GPA and mediocre MCAT score have been harbingers of doom for me. I completed term 1 at SGU recently and decided to withdraw given that 1) I couldn't get a loan, and 2) going to the Carib is a HUGE gamble. In all of this experience I have thus learned a lot about myself and how to remedy my academic missteps.

I am now looking towards completing a second undergraduate degree and potentially applying to dentistry instead, and possibly medicine again depending on how things go. Is there anyone else here that has done the same, with success (i.e. getting into medicine or dentistry afterwards), or are in the process of completing their second degree now? If so, what is your degree in?

Edited by ChasingtheMDream

On 7/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, ChasingtheMDream said:

Hi there,

Going to share my story in a nutshell. I was a first generation student that went to U of T for life sciences and graduated in 2015 with a 3.0 GPA. I spent a solid 6 years applying to grad schools programs and PA school here, and took a few stabs at applying to McMaster medicine. I've built up ample experience in healthcare during these years. However, my low GPA and mediocre MCAT score have been harbingers of doom for me. I completed term 1 at SGU recently and decided to withdraw given that 1) I couldn't get a loan, and 2) going to the Carib is a HUGE gamble. In all of this experience I have thus learned a lot about myself and how to remedy my academic missteps.

I am now looking towards completing a second undergraduate degree and potentially applying to dentistry instead, and possibly medicine again depending on how things go. Is there anyone else here that has done the same, with success (i.e. getting into medicine or dentistry afterwards), or are in the process of completing their second degree now? If so, what is your degree in?

I’m not particularly familiar with the subject, but in the non-traditional applicant section of this forum there is a whole pinned thread dedicated to doing a second undergraduate degree. Maybe you can find some helpful information there: