Premed 101 Forums

Soap Carving Support Group

Guest shesallDAT

Guest shesallDAT

Hey everyone,

So, I'm attempting to prepare for the soap carving section of the November DAT. It's really hard to give myself a self-evaluation...I looked at the pictures in the IQ book, but mine never look that great no matter how long I spend working on it!! One moment I think I completely suck (I'll admit I've even been to the point of crying :( ), then if I come back to the soap a few hours later, I think it's not that bad. I'm very worried about the timing as well.

So, I thought I'd make a place where other, similarly neurotic, people can rant about their carving experiences. :b Maybe we can all share our tips and tricks...or at least moral support! If anyone out there rocked the carving section, maybe you can offer some wisdom too! :)

Guest johnwoo19

Hey shesallDAT, all I can say about the carving section is that it's all about practice. I think different people have different methods of carving and drawing the lines, so what may work for someone may not work for you. The best way is to try a variety of different methods and see which one works best for you. Don't worry about the time aspect yet - get the techniques down and then start timing yourself. This is my first time with the DAT too, so I'm freaking out as well. But I guess the best way to think about it is why spend time freaking out when you can spend that time carving?

I'm sure that some people have already mentioned this, but the IQ Publications book is a good resource for the carving section. The reason why I say it's "good" and not great is that a lot of the techniques I don't agree with, (but that's just my opinion).

Oh yea, make sure you buy LOTS of soap. I must've blown my credit card on soap. Some people only have to carve one or two before being ready for the exam, but I find that if you're having trouble with carving then it'd be best to have lots of soap on hand to practice with.

Best of luck with applications and the DAT :D

Guest wishywish82

I've had some good and bad experiences carving. Sometimes it looks as if my carving is "bang on" and sometimes it really sucks.

The worst experience I had was my first carving when i simultaneously manages to cut myself get soap into my cut and drop my soap all at once. When I look at the progression I've made since then I'm happy :P

Guest montana83

hello..i've recently ordered the soap six pack and kaplan dat book yet have not started studying for the soap carving and am pretty bad when it comes to artistic stuff....do u think the kaplan book will be enough to guide an un-artistic person like myself thru the soap carving material or should i get this IQ Publications book?? and if so what is the title of it?? thanks a lot

Guest johnwoo19

montana, unless they changed the kaplan DAT book recently, the kaplan book does not offer any instructions or advice on the carving section as the book is tailored for the american dat

Guest zippy5678

soap carving has absolutely nothing to do with being artistic.. it's got to do with your manual micro-dexterity. I suppose an artist, like a wood carver or whatever, would probably score high on it but you don't have to be an artist to score high.

cheers,

zz

Guest orlinmyer

I can sure tell you that the soap carving and perceptual tests are the most useful when you actually get into dentistry. When we prep teeth you're talking half a millimeter here, a quarter of a millimeter there. It's pretty amazing actually... Of course right now we're just using plastic teeth at sask right now in first year.

Guest shesallDAT

I was telling my friend at school today about the DAT and he knew someone who apparently cut themself while carving on the actual test, and bled all over the soap and made it pink! That would really suck. :| So, I guess we all can't be any worse off than that person. I imagine that slicing your finger open during the test would be a slight distraction. :\

Do you think they would take marks off if that happened? :P

Guest slysniper

Hello, hello,

I am a novice carver too and I have same problems. I agree pratice makes paerfect. However, I have recently discovered that I inhale the dust when carving, which results in some coughing. I know I should be less violent when blowing the dust off the soap, but I was wondering if you guys have the same problem or not?

Guest shesallDAT

Hey,

No, I haven't noticed any problems with the dust. But, I don't tend to blow it off. I tend to just quickly turn the soap carving-side down and let it fall off, or brush some away with my finger. Maybe if you try either of those things, less of the dust will rise up...

Archived