Premed 101 Forums

FM oncology job and lifestyle

Daisyraisy

During my rotation in medical oncology at the London Regional Cancer Program most of the GPOs worked full time so that's definitely an option without being rural. Not sure what the pay is like but in terms of lifestyle, some of the ones I spoke too said it was an upgrade from when they were doing regular family practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Would need a cancer center so I don't think it would be feasible to do it rurally at all unless you had a close connection with one and handled simple outpatient follow ups. In urban settings can certainly be a full time job, expect ~$1000/day outpatient maybe up to 1200 inpatient with no overhead for either and likely opportunities to make more on call. 

The job is quite different from actual oncology, try some electives to be sure that you'd be comfortable with it if you were initially going for med or rad onc. Typically dealing more with routine follow ups as an outpatient without making significant treatment decisions and managing sequelae of the illness/treatment that lead to admission more than the cancer itself in inpatient with the oncologist still coordinating overall care in the background in both scenarios.