Premed 101 Forums

Laptop suggestions?

dragoncat

Hello, I am looking to buy a new laptop for residency as my current one is quite old and has several issues. I'm open to both windows and apple laptops but want something with a decent screen size (15 in), lightweight/portable, and good battery life as it will be the laptop I take to hospital to use on rounds and during shifts. I appreciate any suggestions!

What residency will you be in? Tbh I have a good laptop and almost never needed to us it in residency. If you want to invest in something I would buy a decent desktop and two screens (I have 3 screens which some people find is overkill) but since I have this set up, I rarely use my laptop. And then there's the other bonus that you can game on it too . Just make sure you have a good phone. For my computer I bought a two terabytes SSD and also subscribe to Google's two terabytes online storage and I basically uploaded everything on my computer onto the storage so I can access all my files on the go.

That would be my recommendation, but I guess you can buy a laptop and hook it up to a 2nd screen but it's not the same as having two nice big screens. 

I did internal medicine but I wonder if other specialties spend more time on the computer or need to have it with them at work. In which case, maybe the laptop is a better decision.

I would probably get either a Macbook Air or Pro. From a windows side I would consider either a Dell XPS, HP Spectre or a Lenovo Yoga, since those tend to be the most portable and are well built, sturdier higher end laptops that compare well with the Macbooks. 

I tend to move around a lot so I do agree with getting a laptop, and the thing is, laptops these days can handle pretty much everything a desktop can, so unless you are gamer, you really don't lose out much by going for a laptop. I even have multiple monitors and hook them up to my laptop whenever i'm home, so that I can have 2 or 3 screens when I need the productivity.