Premed 101 Forums

Confused... does anyone know if this year was competitive for anesthesia/IM?

This is a venting post, but feeling really confused today. I went into medical school thinking I wanted internal medicine, and felt I had a strong application. Decided in late second year that anesthesia seemed really interesting because it had a lot of what I liked in internal medicine except the results of the work were more immediate. Residents and friends that matched before me said that anesthesia and internal medicine were common parallel plans. I was already involved in IM research, but I added on some anesthesia research as well as had an impressive list of leadership positions, ECs, awards etc. No red flags on my application, excellent comments from core/elective, my references assured me my letters were amazing etc. I applied to anesthesia and IM across the country. I know CaRMS is unforgiving, but I was feeling really confident in my application. As of today I have 1 anesthesia interview and 3 internal medicine interviews (2 of those being home schools). I don't know what to do. I thought IM was a guaranteed safe backup, and even anesthesia has had a 70-80% match rate in years past. There is a real possibility that I may go unmatched. Does anyone know how competitive this year was for either? Are there typically IM positions left over in the second round?

Also in your boat regarding IM (much fewer interviews than I anticipated), came into med school wanting to do IM & being told by several physicians & residents that I have a stellar application and should have no problem landing interviews and offers everywhere... Got many MDs to proofread my statements, edited and submitted well in advance...

Some schools sent emails explaining the rejection and did mention there is a significantly higher volume of applicants this year compared to usual, so that's probably the issue.  

Also wondering what the people "with almost all of [the IM interviews]" did lol, do y'all all have Olympic medals or Nobel prizes or something

I don't know what to make of it... I didn't think anesthesia was that competitive. I have friends that I thought had really strong applications and were gunning for it since first year getting rejected. Im thinking of reaching out to program directors and trying to ask for an interview because it was my #1 choice... but I dont know if that will hurt me. I dont know what I wanted from this post, I guess validation and insight into where I went wrong or how others are doing. I didnt think I was going for anything really competitive (optho, plastics, derm, ent) but maybe I was wrong. Hoping my interviews go well so that I can avoid the second round, and hoping everything works out for you both. Do either of you know how many interviews is a safe bet for matching?

10 minutes ago, QMed2023 said:

I don't know what to make of it... I didn't think anesthesia was that competitive. I have friends that I thought had really strong applications and were gunning for it since first year getting rejected. Im thinking of reaching out to program directors and trying to ask for an interview because it was my #1 choice... but I dont know if that will hurt me. I dont know what I wanted from this post, I guess validation and insight into where I went wrong or how others are doing. I didnt think I was going for anything really competitive (optho, plastics, derm, ent) but maybe I was wrong. Hoping my interviews go well so that I can avoid the second round, and hoping everything works out for you both. Do either of you know how many interviews is a safe bet for matching?

Dunno where you are from but I was always under the impression anesthesia was competitive... I think anesthesia this year has been the most competitive it has ever been... i wouldn't be surprised if it was up there with plastics, derm, and ent this year. 

Really sorry to hear that OP. I wish this wasn’t the case for you or anyone else in your shoes. I think we can all appreciate how stressful this whole process is, and I truly hope you stay strong. From what I hear from my classmates at UBC, anesthesia seems exceptionally popular this year and thus likely going to be particularly competitive (within ?top 3).

I am in the camp of emailing PDs directly and reaching out to them if you’ve not been offered an interview because I would think that shows passion, initiative and dedication towards that specialty — i.e. I don’t think this would hurt you. Be polite and concise in your email while staying genuine, and see where that takes you. Good luck and feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.

CaRMS is an incredibly stressful point in medical school. It is even harder when you are surrounded by a lot of excellent people and friends against whom you are competing for spots. We all go through it and so any resident here can confirm your feelings are justified and valid. I know in this moment this likely does nothing, but keep in mind that ultimately most people will match in the first round, and many have done so with the number of interviews you have. My advice for now is try not to focus on anyone else and focus on the opportunities you have in front of you. You have 4 interviews at quality programs. All it takes is one. Really prepare for these interviews and hopefully you never have to think about this again. Good luck!

I agree with Neurophiliac -- nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have personally read on these boards of people who did not receive interviews and then reached out to PDs, humbly reiterated their interest, and then received interviews. I myself was waitlisted for an interview and pursued this path with success in receiving an interview.

2 minutes ago, Dice said:

I agree with Neurophiliac -- nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have personally read on these boards of people who did not receive interviews and then reached out to PDs, humbly reiterated their interest, and then received interviews. I myself was waitlisted for an interview and pursued this path with success in receiving an interview.

@DiceWhen you emailed, did you email the PD directly or the program admin? 

@Overstressed I dug around and found the email. It went something like this:

Dear [program assistant],

I hope this email finds you well. My name is ___ and I am a current applicant to the [residency program]. I was notified on Friday that I am on the waitlist for an interview, so I just wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate my interest in the program. While my path to [speciality] has been non-traditional, I believe that I bring [blah blah blah about me], that are aligned with your program's goals in recruiting resilient applicants capable of practising the breadth of [specialty]. I would be very pleased to interview with the Selection Committee, should an opportunity become available.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

23 hours ago, Overstressed said:

Can confirm, all anesthesia programs are getting record numbers of apps this year. 

how do we find the numbers for number of apps this cycle?

I am also shocked about IM competitiveness this year, but also a little confused how I got an interview at a top school (UofT- did not go to medschool there) but did not get an interview at a smaller/less "traditionally competitive" program....

2 hours ago, carms20233 said:

I am also shocked about IM competitiveness this year, but also a little confused how I got an interview at a top school (UofT- did not go to medschool there) but did not get an interview at a smaller/less "traditionally competitive" program....

I don't think it's possible to know until the preliminary CARMs report comes out 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 12:29 PM, carms20233 said:

Would you say your CV was more research-heavy?