Premed 101 Forums

Can a current PGY1 apply to Carms 2nd iteration?

Title says it all!

Current PGY1 in Pathology in Québec strongly missing patient contact and thinking of switching into a more clinical program.
I am considering switching to Family Medicine but the deadline for an internal transfer at my school has passed.
Does anyone know if a current PGY1 can apply to Carms second iteration?
Any success stories?

• unhappy_resident changed the title to Can a current PGY1 apply to Carms 2nd iteration?
5 minutes ago, unhappy_resident said:

Title says it all!

Current PGY1 in Pathology in Québec strongly missing patient contact and thinking of switching into a more clinical program.
I am considering switching to Family Medicine but the deadline for an internal transfer at my school has passed.
Does anyone know if a current PGY1 can apply to Carms second iteration?
Any success stories?

Despite the fact Québec has many unfilled positions in FM, it seems to be the only province which doesn't allow applicants with prior post-graduate training to apply to the second round via CaRMS.   So, if you're willing to go outside of QC, then I think you will have a chance as there are often unfilled FM positions all over the country.  The other choice would be to wait for the next transfer window - I think there's two a year?  

https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/eligibility-criteria/summary-intake-criteria-cmgs/