Premed 101 Forums

Uncertain about Psychiatry ROL

I am having trouble choosing my top psychiatry program (Mac, UofT, UBC), if anyone would be willing to share their thoughts please? 

In particular, I am finding it hard to decide if a wellness/teaching focused program, like McMaster, outweighs the benefit of schools like UofT/UBC with huge volumes and niche subspecialties. I worry that if I rank McMaster first, if I later decide that I want to be subspecialized/complete a fellowship in a niche field (non geri/peds/forensics) it may be more difficult to get exposure and eventually into these programs. That being said, McMaster's program looks stellar...

Thank you!

I faced an important dilemma when ranking my programs last year, for a different specialty than yours.

I was torn between

• (1) flexible, wellness oriented program with amazing PD with less volume
  • (2) high reputation program with important volume and allegedly stronger research

I chose #1 and I have absolutely no regrets.

Ultimately, in all specialties, all universities are somewhat similar with a few differences here and there.
My only advice is to follow your gut feeling and try to imagine where you will be the happiest and feel the most supported.
In terms of residencies, prestige or reputation is less important and I do not believe it should be a factor.
Good training is possible if you are motivated and invest yourself and that's much easier to do in a well rounded and balanced program.
It seems to me that McMaster should be your first choice.

Best of luck! :)

I'm really torn on McMaster and U of T as well; my gut is telling me toronto for the "toronto" experience (probably won't have this again), amenities, as well as subspeciality exposure, research foci that McMaster does not have to the same degree. However, McMaster is definitely more wellness-oriented, still has research support, and finances would be more manageable. 

I don't think there's a wrong answer, and residency will be tough regardless. I agree that prestige matters less but...

There really is no "prestige" in Canada. Absolutely nobody (except those outside of medicine who have no idea what residency and medical training entail) cares or gives a second thought about where you did your residency. Once you get into the grind of residency, you will care less and less about subspecialty exposure because it just becomes about getting through and surviving. As for the Toronto experience, that is a personal choice. The big city is for some people and definitely not for others.