Premed 101 Forums

MS2... wondering about importance of Leadership and Advocacy roles in CaRMs application?

Hi,

I was looking at CV templates my school provides and these templates have subheadings like "Education" "Research" "Awards" "Leadership" "Advocacy", etc.

The template has quite a few entries for Leadership and Advocacy, and I realized I have nothing to say for Leadership and maybe 1 thing to say for Advocacy.

How important is it that I seek opportunities in these areas so this isn't a weak point in my CaRMS app?

I'm aiming for IM at UofT, I attend a different school in Ontario.

I agree, if you can I would try to find just like 1 thing you can do to check that box (e.g. club exec, or whatever else), you won't regret having done it come CaRMS time. I say that as someone who really didn't do much leadership at all lol. Nonetheless, I think that if the rest of your application is good I don't think that it should be a real issue especially in a bigger field like IM (I hope for my sake).

• 2 weeks later...

Did not interview at UofT IM but from my experience of interviewing at <5 schools for IM, all I'm going to say is that it's fair game.

Not sure which year you are in. JK I am blind. Try to see if you can get a position as IM block student representative.  It doesn't need to be CFMS or OMA level leadership, any involvement with your school/curriculum will be reasonable.