Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? 3.65 GPA with above-average ECs

Guest MedixMan

Guest MedixMan

Hey!

Just got a quick question:

Would a 3.60-3.65 GPA (after U of T calcs) with above average non GPA stuff (ECs, research, ABS), and above average MCAT be sufficient to get me in?

I guess what I am asking is, is it reasonably worthwhile to apply to U of T with a not so decent GPA with compensating above average non-academics?

Thnx!

Guest DancingDoc

You'll never know unless you try..... It's worked out for some, not for others. If you want U of T, decide if it's worth the money and time to apply. I'd say do it. Best of luck to you :)

Guest scrubbed

Hi there,

With an undergraduate degree, I'd say that it would be difficult, but not impossible, to achieve acceptance with your GPA. With so many applicants, about 2700 applicants for 270 offers, GPA is one quick screening tool that U of T can use. Though it may also be due to a shift in admissions philosphy, McMaster, which has the most applicants of any medical school in Canada, about 4000, has increasingly made GPA worth more in its admissions scheme. This has resulted in, what McMaster students tell me, one of, if not the highest, accepted GPA in North America. For applicants to U of T, the average accepted GPA is in the mid to high 3.8's.

Though you may know this already, if you have had a couple of good years, Queen's (with a good MCAT), Western (with an honours degree), and NOSM may be viable options in Ontario.

If you do apply, put great emphasis on the part of your application that you can control, for it's not only the activities and experience that you have, but how you present them that is important. At a glance, some of the posts from the previous year's application cycle may prove useful.

The MCAT is looked at as a flag. A higher MCAT beyond the cutoffs does not improve your application.

As DancingDoc said, perhaps you should just go for it, as the experience of applying one year, though not gaining acceptance, may help subsequent applications.

Best of luck!

Guest MedixMan

Hey DD and scrubbed thnx for the info!

another quick question: how do u send a personal message?

Everytime I click "send a message" on someones page, nothing happens?!?

Thnx

Guest scrubbed

One solution would be to make sure that you are logged in. I don't believe that the board allows you to send a PM if you are not logged in first.

Archived