Premed 101 Forums

How does one stand out when it comes to the extracurricular sections for UAlberta's Application?

So with the UAlberta application opening up in a few days, I really want to get a headstart on the application component. I'm looking for advice from those who have been accepted/interviewed at UofA. How did you guys really stand out on the extracurricular component?

Should one write their UofA application the same way one would do their top 10 for UCalgary? Or should it be more of a "UBC" style where you list extracurrs more like a resume?

Any tips/tricks one would have to ensure a solid EC component score would be wonderful! I have a 3.84 GPA for UAlberta (so middle of the pack I'm guessing). 

The biggest piece of advice I have for the ECs section: it's not about what you did, it's about how you sell it!

The basic tips to follow: throw sentence structure out the window and write in bullet points. state numbers because they matter and show impact (ex. award $ amount, # of members/attendees/etc.)

basic format: Sentence 1 = simple explanation of what you did/the activity. sentence 2 = why does this matter/what impact it had on community. sentence 3 = what impact it had on you/what it taught you/why it was important to you specifically. 

Ex for leadership category) title: Mentor in New Student Mentorship Program

description: Mentored 3 mentees with transition to program. Provided guidance on school and academic navigation and emotional support to promote overall wellbeing and success. Mentees were able successfully integrate and flourish in the student community. Enhanced communication and advocacy skills and developed desire to continue similar work in the future. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions :)