Premed 101 Forums

Switching Subspecialty Program

Hi everyone,

I have currently started a Pediatric subspecialty program in a subspecialty I really enjoy. I matched to a wonderful program, however, it is across the country from where I am from. It is really starting to hit me how difficult it will be to train for several years away from family/friends. I know it is still early and I am not making any rash moves/decisions at this time. However, in the pediatric subspecialty match, there were several spots available after the match in my subspecialty in institutions close to home.

Is it possible to transfer to a subspecialty program in a different province? Would the ideal time be after completing 1st year? Would the best way to initiate the process be to reach out to my institution's PGME office? Would the discussion with PGME remain confidential until it is determined if a spot/funding is available at the potentially accepting program?

Thank You

25 minutes ago, eagle28 said:

Is it possible to transfer to a subspecialty program in a different province?

Yes, it should be but depends on your program and the program you want to transfer to. 

26 minutes ago, eagle28 said:

Would the ideal time be after completing 1st year?

I think the minimum time you have to stay in a program before you transfer out is 6 months. 

26 minutes ago, eagle28 said:

Would the best way to initiate the process be to reach out to my institution's PGME office?

I think the best bet is to reach out to the PD of the program you want to transfer into and the PGME office of the program you want to go. Then maybe reach out to your own PGME office and your PD. 

27 minutes ago, eagle28 said:

Would the discussion with PGME remain confidential until it is determined if a spot/funding is available at the potentially accepting program?

It should be but given that you are talking about a peds subspecialty program, I'm assuming the program is small so I wouldn't be surprised if the PDs start talking to each other... nothing you can really do about that and it wouldn't be a reason to not go ahead with a transfer if you really feel that it's right for you.

That being said, I don't have any personal experiences with switching programs but I do have 3 friends that I know who wanted to change programs (surprisingly the two across provinces succeeded and the one who wanted to transfer within a province did not). They were nova scotia --> Ontario, mannitoba --> Ontario, Ontario --> Ontario (did not succeed) but this is roughly what they told me about the process

• 3 weeks later...

Did you apply to those other spots and were not accepted? Or did you rank your current place higher. Peds subspeicaitly is such a small world. If you're truly doing well in your field but are struggling due to location, talk to your current PD, and reach out to the programs you would like to be at and ask if transfer is a potential option. And some point they will have to talk to each other or you will need a reference from your current PD saying you are in good standing anyway.

Residency transfers usually wait until the start of the year, but subspeciality is so small I don't know if there are any rules. You may not be able to leave this year due to call commitments, service requirements, etc. But you should start the ball rolling now for a potential transfer before second year. Generally you can't transfer in your final year.