Premed 101 Forums

I was wondering for those of you who have been accepted into the usask medical school or might have a good idea about this based on what you’ve heard, have you been accepted or know of anyone being accepted into medical school with an inconsistent academic record?

Although my UAA is above 80%, my average severely dropped in the second semester of my third year due to external reasons. That brought my entire 3rd year average down, about 9% lower than my 1 & 2 years. I am a little worried about this being considered inconsistent and that it would remove my application from consideration this cycle. 

This is what it states on the website:

“INCONSISTENT ACADEMIC RECORD: In all cases, the Admissions Committee has the right to remove the application from consideration based on a highly inconsistent academic record (e.g., grades declining over time or grades fluctuating over a wide range) and failure to progress through the degree in a timely fashion.”

I’d appreciate any input!

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 3.23.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 3.22.32 PM.png

That rule has been in place since around the 2015 admissions when they changed from needing just 2 years of undergrad, to full undergrad degree to apply. I would not worry too much about your case because your overall GPA was relatively low since first and second year, but of course your 3rd year suffered. Another inconsistency they check is very high GPA but very low MCAT, or failed many classes, but this might not be for your case. 

But another problem may be is that your overall GPA is low around barely ~80%, which is the minimum cutoff, and their average/media accepted GPA was 87-88%. 

Make sure your GPA are well above the 80.00% by the hundredth decimal and they may remove you from just from cutoff. Work hard in other parts of your applications such as the MCAT or the essay and other parts of your application. I would say since the last admission change the essay matter significantly to Saskatchewan connectedness.