Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

On 8/5/2024 at 12:21 PM, OTSLP said:

Hi guys! I'm looking to apply to uOttawa for Speech Language Pathology and OT. A requirement to apply is to be bilingual in French/English. To apply you need to take the OLBI School of Rehabilitation Sciences French/English language admissions test. I haven't been able to find a lot of information online about it.

I was wondering if anyone can speak to its difficulty? If it's similar to the C1 DALF French test? What kinds of questions are on it? Has anyone has found any practice tests / prep for this test specifically? Any general tips / advice for taking this test? Feel free to privately message me if you don't feel comfortable replying on this thread!

This is the link to the test I'm referring to if anyone is interested:

https://www.uottawa.ca/about-us/official-languages-bilingualism-institute/Language-assessment/tests/school-rehabilitation-sciences-admissions-test 

Thank you guys so much. Any information is helpful!

Hello! 

I took the test this past cycle and got into uOttawa OT. I am not sure how it compares to C1 DALF but based on what I have heard from others, if you are able to complete the DALF tests relatively easy it shouldn't be too bad. The practice tests for the OLBI test are helpful to get used to the format and level of difficulty of the questions. My best tip is not to overthink, especially on the oral portion!

My first language is French however I completed highschool in immersion as there were no French schools near me and I also did my undergrad in English. Because of this I lost a lot of my conversational French but have found that it comes back super fast! 

1 minute ago, kingradmmm said:

Hello! 

I took the test this past cycle and got into uOttawa OT. I am not sure how it compares to C1 DALF but based on what I have heard from others, if you are able to complete the DALF tests relatively easy it shouldn't be too bad. The practice tests for the OLBI test are helpful to get used to the format and level of difficulty of the questions. My best tip is not to overthink, especially on the oral portion!

My first language is French however I completed highschool in immersion as there were no French schools near me and I also did my undergrad in English. Because of this I lost a lot of my conversational French but have found that it comes back super fast! 

Yay! You got off the waitlist?

Just now, AppliedtoOT said:

That’s incredible! I totally regret not applying to Ottawa this cycle. Next time!

Definitely apply next year! My stats were not very competitive because of my awful grades in second year but if your stats are any better than mine you have a super good shot. Best of luck!

2 hours ago, kingradmmm said:

Definitely apply next year! My stats were not very competitive because of my awful grades in second year but if your stats are any better than mine you have a super good shot. Best of luck!

Thank you! My stats will be a lot better this cycle than they were last cycle so I have hope 

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased as punch to share that I was accepted to U of A OT (off the waitlist, of course) today at 3:30 PM MDT! 

Classes start NEXT WEEK. 

Honestly, I'm very sick right now with a nasty flu so I was worried that it was a fever dream or something, but it isn't! I'm so shocked, I had finally accepted that I wasn't getting in this year. I literally have a job interview on Monday. 

Wow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hii, this will be my second time applying to the OT programs and I feel like my main weakness may be my letter of intent since I feel like my experiences and grades are strong. I was wondering if anyone who got accepted would be willing to privately message me and either share their LOI or some pointers that they feel made their letter stronger. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)