Premed 101 Forums

should I drop out of my physio Master's that I just started?

Hi guys!!

I just started my Master's in physiotherapy. I applied 3 times to dental school (with a 3.6 or 3.7 GPA depending on the school) and tried to do a second undergrad 3 times and dropped out after a week because I didn't feel motivated enough. So, I settled for my plan B and got into physiotherapy. I was initially happy with my acceptance but now that I've started, I've been really unhappy that I'm not in dental school and been feeling really depressed and haven't been able to study at all. I've been having thoughts about dropping out because I'm not confident that I'll do well with my lack of interest. I feel like physiotherapy could be a job I enjoy but because it's not dentistry I'm self-sabotaging. 

I'm thinking I should try again for a second undergrad degree but I'm not sure if it's a bad idea because there's not guarantee I would do well and physio at least leads to a good career. I was thinking of pursuing another undergrad after my physio Master's degree anyway if I still have the motivation but I'll be 31 by then.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are!! Thank you

Hi Anna,

It seems to me that you are in a crossroads in your life, i.e., you have reached a fork in the road. Leaving your Plan B at this stage is the equivalent of self-sabotage - as you will; end up in the Gaza Strip, that is to say, you will be in the middle of nowhere without any professional training in the 'hope' that perhaps one day, you will achieve what you believe is your dream job of becoming a dentist, after first doing another undergrad, receiving a competitive GPA and then getting an acceptance into dental school.

Have you heard of the expression, "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush!". You are in a terrific Masters Program with a potential bright future ahead. As you said, you can always go for a 2nd undergrad later. At least, you have secured a good professional future in the healthcare field an will be able to contribute to society while having a secure financial future on the horizon.

Going into the Gaza Strip, you have dreams with no secure future. Don't go there. The problem you have is to become "self-motivated", to apply yourself in this Program, to be the best of which you are capable! You need to change your mind set! You have just one enemy - yourself.

BTW, there is no one job that any of us must have! We all roll the dice, make our strategic decisions and then, life, luck, circumstances intervene - and we do the best we can with the choices available. I am available by PM if you like.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 5:46 PM, anna345 said:

Hi guys!!

I just started my Master's in physiotherapy. I applied 3 times to dental school (with a 3.6 or 3.7 GPA depending on the school) and tried to do a second undergrad 3 times and dropped out after a week because I didn't feel motivated enough. So, I settled for my plan B and got into physiotherapy. I was initially happy with my acceptance but now that I've started, I've been really unhappy that I'm not in dental school and been feeling really depressed and haven't been able to study at all. I've been having thoughts about dropping out because I'm not confident that I'll do well with my lack of interest. I feel like physiotherapy could be a job I enjoy but because it's not dentistry I'm self-sabotaging. 

I'm thinking I should try again for a second undergrad degree but I'm not sure if it's a bad idea because there's not guarantee I would do well and physio at least leads to a good career. I was thinking of pursuing another undergrad after my physio Master's degree anyway if I still have the motivation but I'll be 31 by then.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are!! Thank you

Don't drop out.
Years ago, during my own physio studies, I used to sometimes wonder if I should drop out and do something else.
Years later, as a medical graduate and current resident, I look back and realize that it is an amazing profession.
At the time, I didn't appreciate it enough.
It's all a matter of perspective.
You can decide to make what you want out of your profession.

The state of physical therapy is constantly changing and you will graduate at an exciting time for the profession.

The question that you need to ask yourself honestly is What can you get from dentistry that physical therapy can't give you?

• Is it autonomy ? Physios have increased autonomy with respect to imaging prescription and other acts currently reserved to physicians ;
  • Is it owning your clinic ? Physios have increased opportunities to operate a practice and hold on to management positions;
  • Is it advanced practice possibilites ?  Physio can work in various fields of rehabilitation : neuro, geriatrics, cardio, ortho, etc.
  • Is it treating the mouth? Physios can specialize in the treatment of TMJ disorders and work in collaboration with dentists in that setting.
  • Is it the job market? Jobs are available in exciting and prestigious public and private settings all over the country;
  • Is it the salary ? Physios salaries have drastically improved while offering a robust work-life balance 

If dentistry is truly your dream, don't let it go.
But please try to appreciate the process.
Right now,  get as much as possible out of your physio experience.
If you still feel like you want to be a dentist, work hard and it will eventually happen.

We are never satisfied and always hoping for the next step that will finally be 'it', that final step to happiness.
It will never happen. 
There is always more: dental school, residency, fellowship, being a new staff, opening a practice, etc.
Enjoy every second out of this process because every stage has its beauty.

Best of luck to you ! :)

On 9/22/2023 at 12:58 AM, HoopDreams said:

Don't drop out.
Years ago, during my own physio studies, I used to sometimes wonder if I should drop out and do something else.
Years later, as a medical graduate and current resident, I look back and realize that it is an amazing profession.
At the time, I didn't appreciate it enough.
It's all a matter of perspective.
You can decide to make what you want out of your profession.

The state of physical therapy is constantly changing and you will graduate at an exciting time for the profession.

The question that you need to ask yourself honestly is What can you get from dentistry that physical therapy can't give you?

• Is it autonomy ? Physios have increased autonomy with respect to imaging prescription and other acts currently reserved to physicians ;
  • Is it owning your clinic ? Physios have increased opportunities to operate a practice and hold on to management positions;
  • Is it advanced practice possibilites ?  Physio can work in various fields of rehabilitation : neuro, geriatrics, cardio, ortho, etc.
  • Is it treating the mouth? Physios can specialize in the treatment of TMJ disorders and work in collaboration with dentists in that setting.
  • Is it the job market? Jobs are available in exciting and prestigious public and private settings all over the country;
  • Is it the salary ? Physios salaries have drastically improved while offering a robust work-life balance 

If dentistry is truly your dream, don't let it go.
But please try to appreciate the process.
Right now,  get as much as possible out of your physio experience.
If you still feel like you want to be a dentist, work hard and it will eventually happen.

We are never satisfied and always hoping for the next step that will finally be 'it', that final step to happiness.
It will never happen. 
There is always more: dental school, residency, fellowship, being a new staff, opening a practice, etc.
Enjoy every second out of this process because every stage has its beauty.

Best of luck to you ! :)

Agreed, having had a previous career to medical training/residency, many a time I long for the work life balance and enjoyment of life outside work that residency/medical training/medicine in general can snuff out, and this is coming from someone who constantly is trying to do things with my partner, friends, family, and personal time outside of studying, prepping for clinics, on-call, and just the general stress of the job. Try it out, see where this masters takes you, you will more than likely be pleasantly surprised with how life and your perspective may change. But if it never leaves your mind, the dentistry dream, then do what you must to get there.

• 2 months later...

I am very biased (Sport Medicine) but I think physio is amazing! One of the lovely things about it is that it is flexible and you can make what you want out of it. You could be a physiotherapist who specializes in head and neck rehab for things like TMJ dysfunction and do so much good for these patients living with debilitating pain! Or, you may fall in love with something else in your Masters. It may be worth reflecting on what you like about physio vs. dentistry and see if you can draw some parallels for your current program to get some inspiration.