Premed 101 Forums

Composite Reference Letters

7 hours ago, iufrrhiuwn said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on asking for composite letters of reference. This would be written by the regional lead doc I didn't work directly with, but using evaluations I received from various docs I did work with. 

I am just re-reading program descriptions which say that the letter should be written by someone you have worked directly with, and wondering if that means a composite letter would not be acceptable.

These types of letters are not as good as letters written by faculty that you have personally worked with. It is very obvious when reading letters whether or not the person writing it is authentic and invested in your success. Composite letters tend to read more like cookie cutter responses and there is nothing that anyone reading it can take away that will elevate you.

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends on how well the umbrella person knows you. I had one reference which I know for sure was very positive who I didn't exactly work directly with, was more the doc who was managing the other docs, recruitment, etc. But he and I had so many personal check-ins and had this amazing sit-down before I started with any of his doctors when he told me to "work hard and BE BRAVE" and he said he believed I would be successful. I still check in with him today to let him know my progress in my residency. I also got letters from the ones I worked directly with, but I feel that he was able to comment the most on my character and resilience. 

I would also suggest that if you do the composite letter because you must, then to make it easy for the referee by including a package of evals and examples of scenarios and quotes, if possible from the direct supervisors (with their permission, of course).