Premed 101 Forums

Regretting Fellowship Decision

I am a PGY3 internal medicine resident who recently matched to ICU. I was debating between ICU and cardiology throughout residency and interviewed for both and ranked ICU first and matched to ICU. I am having regrets about this decision and now wish I had ranked Cardiology higher and then done ICU afterwards. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to transfer programs as a PGY4 fellow? 

9 hours ago, Throwaway1235 said:

I am a PGY3 internal medicine resident who recently matched to ICU. I was debating between ICU and cardiology throughout residency and interviewed for both and ranked ICU first and matched to ICU. I am having regrets about this decision and now wish I had ranked Cardiology higher and then done ICU afterwards. I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to transfer programs as a PGY4 fellow? 

In theory, possibly, realistically, depends on way too many elements to answer. Won't be able to do anything until you start though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A lot of things are possible with persistence. A lot of these things happen all the time and because its not common, we don't know about it. I would talk to people you know in cardiology to get a sense and then talk to the cardiology PD in confidence first.