Premed 101 Forums

Interview Tips + Prep

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) For what it is worth, I applied to 2 competitive specialties and to FM, had 1 interview in each. Notwithstanding common thought/wisdom, I did no preparation, I was my authentic self, allowing my personality and interest to shine through. I was selected for the competitive surgical residency, the interview lasted 10 minutes and was more like a chat with colleagues with no hardball surprise questions. Good Luck!

Many years ago, I advised an applicant to both dentistry and med (where she really only wanted med), to treat the interviews strictly as “a practice session” so as to relieve the performance anxiety. The dental interview was first and she felt she did extremely well. She used the same approach to med, and she was accepted to both! Her good friend only applied to dental, really wanted an acceptance, went to the interview with tremendous anxiety and was not selected.