Premed 101 Forums

Best undergraduate program to apply to medical school

• 1 month later...

While getting the best GPA is a great way to increase your chances to get into medical school, there are other factors to consider, at least for McGill.

For McGill, there are a lot of other things that matter, besides your GPA

• I am sure you have heard or read about applicants with perfect GPAs that don't get in. Therefore, non-academic qualities do matter. These include curiosity, creativity, innovation, activism. I am often way more impressed by candidates that have a non-traditional degree (music, architecture, etc.) than those with a typical medical school gunner degree (physiology, biomed, etc.). Therefore, don't be afraid to pick soething less common if you are interested in it and enjoy it.

In case you don't get into medical school, you will have a life after

• Every single candidate that pursues a degree to get into medicine is initially convinced that the major he/she chooses is 'temporary', just a way to get them to their real goal. It is a mistake I did as well. Therefore, pick something that makes sense for medicine but also in case medicine does not work. For that reason, if you are an interested in healthcare, it would be a good idea to pick another health profession, if you enjoy it : physical therapy, speech therapy, social work, etc.

You are spending at least 3 years of your life pursuing a degree, you might as well enjoy it.

• Three to four years will fly by but please choose something that you somewhat enjoy. Your degree is not all about fun but you need to have some interest in the field. Your grades will follow.

Best of luck ! :)