Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia Residency Programs for ROL

Hi All,

I was wondering if there were any anesthesia residents or recent grads who could comment on the programs across the country? Looking for more information for ROLs.

Generally; what being a resident is like there, if many residents became burnt out in a significant way (obviously all residencies are very busy and potential for burnout is there) or were unhappy and why, what relationships with staff were like and how they felt their preparation and exposure was for staff life and the exam, and anything else significant? Particularly interested in what people have to say about McGill, Western, and U of T as I have heard conflicting opinions about the programs.  

Thank you! Really appreciate it.

Here is what I've heard but no direct experience.

Western - residents seem happy overall but work hard. ORs go until 6pm so it leaves less time to study and for yourself.

Toronto - heard rumours that they had 3-4 failures on the royal college this year, which is quite a few but I don't have direct knowledge.

14 hours ago, Anon715 said:

Here is what I've heard but no direct experience.

Western - residents seem happy overall but work hard. ORs go until 6pm so it leaves less time to study and for yourself.

Toronto - heard rumours that they had 3-4 failures on the royal college this year, which is quite a few but I don't have direct knowledge.

To clarify for Western though, not all their ORs go to 6pm - they just have some designated late ORs that residents are expected to stay back to staff, instead of handing over to on-call people. Similar model to Dal actually.