Premed 101 Forums

Question about CaRMS Second Round Interview Timing

Hello, I'm currently a PGY1 planning to apply for a transfer and I will likely be applying to one or more programs (only for one specialty) during this upcoming CaRMS second iteration. 

It also just so happens that the CaRMS interview period overlaps with my pre-designated vacation period. It would be nice to actually get some length of a true vacation (and in a different time zone) during this hectic PGY1 year - so I wanted to ask the forum here so I could clear some things up. 

It seems like Interview invites will start being sent as early as April 4th at noon - with the ranking period starting on April 9th (noon) and ending on April 17th. I would have initially assumed that this means all interviews would be done by April 8th, but this seems to not be the case and I've read others say that interviews can be scheduled for any time up until the April 17th rank order list deadline. 

Just wanted to confirm if this is truly the case and/or whether I would have any flexibility in either my assigned interview dates/times, as well as if it would be possible to try to ensure any of my interviews are scheduled before a certain date (ie before the 9th, etc)?

Thank you!  

16 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

Hello, I'm currently a PGY1 planning to apply for a transfer and I will likely be applying to one or more programs (only for one specialty) during this upcoming CaRMS second iteration. 

It also just so happens that the CaRMS interview period overlaps with my pre-designated vacation period. It would be nice to actually get some length of a true vacation (and in a different time zone) during this hectic PGY1 year - so I wanted to ask the forum here so I could clear some things up. 

It seems like Interview invites will start being sent as early as April 4th at noon - with the ranking period starting on April 9th (noon) and ending on April 17th. I would have initially assumed that this means all interviews would be done by April 8th, but this seems to not be the case and I've read others say that interviews can be scheduled for any time up until the April 17th rank order list deadline. 

Just wanted to confirm if this is truly the case and/or whether I would have any flexibility in either my assigned interview dates/times, as well as if it would be possible to try to ensure any of my interviews are scheduled before a certain date (ie before the 9th, etc)?

Thank you!  

Interviews could be any day up to the rank order deadline, but realistically probably a reasonable time before that for most programs so they have time to make their rank order list etc. You will very likely be told when a program's interview date(s) is/are and perhaps have some choice within those days in terms of interview slot but most likely will be assigned a time, and then you could potentially request a switch within those dates. Unfortunately, it's a seller's market and it is difficult for programs to arrange their staff etc. to be available for interviews so outside of special circumstances you will probably not be able to dictate when the interview day is within that timeline.

17 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Interviews could be any day up to the rank order deadline, but realistically probably a reasonable time before that for most programs so they have time to make their rank order list etc. You will very likely be told when a program's interview date(s) is/are and perhaps have some choice within those days in terms of interview slot but most likely will be assigned a time, and then you could potentially request a switch within those dates. Unfortunately, it's a seller's market and it is difficult for programs to arrange their staff etc. to be available for interviews so outside of special circumstances you will probably not be able to dictate when the interview day is within that timeline.

I see thank you.

So from that perspective, If I were to wait until March 21st, when program descriptions with interview periods are published for the 2nd round, I would get an idea of what would probably be the latest date that the participating 2nd round programs would send me an invite?

16 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

I see thank you.

So from that perspective, If I were to wait until March 21st, when program descriptions with interview periods are published for the 2nd round, I would get an idea of what would probably be the latest date that the participating 2nd round programs would send me an invite?

Probably. You can see what programs did last year to get an idea at https://www.carms.ca/match/r-1-main-residency-match/program-descriptions-archive-second-iteration/

So it will depend on the program and the number of spots. You can see for instance that University of Saskatchewan IM had two dates for interviews whereas UofT FM basically listed the entire interview period as potential dates.