Premed 101 Forums

How common is it to locum during cardiology fellowship

I’m an MS3 and have been quite liking cardiology. However, the length of training is scary to say the least. I’m planning on starting a family soon and want to make sure it won’t take me forever to be able to provide comfortably beyond the low PGY salary. My questions are:

1. how common/practical is it to locum during cardiology fellowship?

2. If it’s viable to do so, is the pay good enough to make it worth it in terms of the extra work?

1. I don't know a single cardiology fellow that hasn't locumed during their fellowship. 

2. yes

That being said, first get into residency and then decide if you actually will still wanna do cardio. A lot of cardio gunners who started residency changed their minds and many who didn't want cardio ended up liking it. So this isn't something to stress about as an MS3

Many if not most cardiology fellows locum in PGY5 or 6. I am in the west coast and the locum gigs pay very very well. Depending on the province, there are also opportunities to moonlight during PGY3-4 for internal medicine/ICU which pays less but still a pretty good amount.

With that being said, cardiology fellowship is very busy, and depending on your own energy level and the dynamics of your family (e.g. how often do you need to be around your family), doing extra work may be challenging.

Focus on matching to residency first! There are many other more family-friendly specialties in IM and you will have time to decide.

Also, just remember that cardiology training typically requires at least 1 year of fellowship maybe 2 or even 3 afterwards (if you want more competitive higher paid jobs/subspecialties or desirable locations). 

A lot of these fellowships don't pay very much if at all and expect you to locum to keep yourself afloat.