Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched CaRMS 2024 Thread

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/11/2024 at 2:24 PM, Rosalind21 said:

If anyone wants to chat, I thought I'd start this thread.

Applied to a competitive specialty widely and ended up unmatched this year.

I'm sorry to hear this. Did you end up applying to the 2nd iteration or did you decide to go for a 5th year and try again for the same specialty +/- backup?

On 4/11/2024 at 3:24 PM, Rosalind21 said:

If anyone wants to chat, I thought I'd start this thread.

Applied to a competitive specialty widely and ended up unmatched this year.

I know it's easy to say but : everything happens for a reason, including major disappointments that can be perceived as failures.
All of my friends that went unmatched ended up going through cycles of anger, sadness, grief, doubts and eventual reapplication.
Take a moment to assess what you could have improved.
Also accept that there are things in life that you can never ever control and that have to do with pure luck.
Life still goes on, you are alive, your family and friends are still present, you are still a graduating doctor simply waiting for the right match.
Be proud of that and try to assess your options.

Best of luck to you ! :)

LUCK plays a critical role in this lottery! I applied to 2 highly competitive specialties, one of which I was a gunner and extremely highly qualified. I got both interviews, and was selected for the surgical specialty where I was the least qualified applicant but was considered a good fit, given my demeanor and soft skills. Go figure. I just as easily could have not been selected at either. It was dumb luck. Everything happens for a reason even if we are not aware at the time. Keep your head up, assess your opptions and I'm sure you land on your feet!

Luck and preparedness both plays major roles beyond residency application. Even if you are in a field that has lots of jobs, sometimes it takes a bit of luck to find a "great" opportunity instead of an "average" opportunity. It's a bit like house hunting, you can prepare as much as you can as a buyer, but sometimes it's the randomness of the seller side that make or break the deal.