Premed 101 Forums

Quebec medical residents salary question

I am starting residency soon in Quebec and I am looking for some information regarding the salary for residents. I looked at the FMRQ site and all but I'd love to hear from past/current residents. The gross annual salary in PGY1 is $49,258 which I estimated is ~$4,104/month (before tax). 

1. Is the call premium ($607) automatically added to the $4,104 every month? 

2. What about the teaching premium ($240), do we get also get that every month starting in PGY1? Even if not teaching. 

3. Any other bonuses I could take advantage of? 

4. What's the actual salary for a PGY1 in Quebec monthly/annually? 

I am moving from another province to Quebec and boy do I have debt! I am starting to worry when it comes to my ability to repay my LOC (just the interest) and my federal loans (I don't quality for the interest free program as a medical resident). Based on my budget, it seems that everything will be really tight but I have heard that Quebec residents still live quite comfortably. Is there anything I am missing in the above?

5 hours ago, Blue_Sky98 said:

I am starting residency soon in Quebec and I am looking for some information regarding the salary for residents. I looked at the FMRQ site and all but I'd love to hear from past/current residents. The gross annual salary in PGY1 is $49,258 which I estimated is ~$4,104/month (before tax). 

1. Is the call premium ($607) automatically added to the $4,104 every month? 

2. What about the teaching premium ($240), do we get also get that every month starting in PGY1? Even if not teaching. 

3. Any other bonuses I could take advantage of? 

4. What's the actual salary for a PGY1 in Quebec monthly/annually? 

I am moving from another province to Quebec and boy do I have debt! I am starting to worry when it comes to my ability to repay my LOC (just the interest) and my federal loans (I don't quality for the interest free program as a medical resident). Based on my budget, it seems that everything will be really tight but I have heard that Quebec residents still live quite comfortably. Is there anything I am missing in the above?

Call premiums and teaching premiums are added every month even if not on call or not teaching. If you're in a specialty that does a lot of call that kind of sucks because the call money gets distributed equally to all residents in Quebec (regardless if you do lots of call or not throughout your residency). 

ANy time you do a stat day, you can get paid x2 I believe or take a lieu day (ie another day off) during the rotation. Otherwise there aren't many other bonuses that I am aware of. 

Salary when I was a PGY1 was about 1600 every 2 weeks I believe. Its likely higher now. I am currently in my final year of residency getting paid 2k every 2 weeks. Both figures are post-tax.