Premed 101 Forums

HI!

I recently started my studies in PharmD at UdeM, and I'd like to start a discussion about the careers in pharmacy and dentistry IN MONTREAL/QUEBEC.

To be honest, my original plan after cegep was to get into dental school and pursue a career in that field, but I couldn't get off the waitlist. I'm now in PharmD, and honestly, hearing that this job is actually a pretty good one in the province of Quebec is a relief. However, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the profession. 

In your opinion, is pharmacy a better career or is dentistry a better one? This is specifically about the province of Quebec tho, since I am aware that pharmacy in other provinces is not the way to go... lol. Working conditions, salary, work-life balance are all things I'd love to hear people's opinions on! 

1. Working conditions. I hear that dentists often end up having lots of physical problems w their body, such as neck and back pain, which doesn't seem great! But I also hear the retail pharmacists don't enjoy dealing with rude patients. Just some things I've heard about both jobs!

2. Salary. I hear that salaried pharmacists get paid $60-70 per hour and it can increase. There's also the option of being a replacement pharmacist, which I hear is 90+ per hour (yay)! As for dentists, honestly I'm not sure (someone please share any info), but I'd guess 200k a year for an associate? I do know that both can probably earn way more as owners, but I'd like to know what the range is for both professions: pharmacy owners vs dentist w their own clinic.

3. Work-life balance. Honestly, for both professions, I hear that work-life balance is relatively good, maybe not the best, but at least better than that of doctors. 

THANKS!!!! Feel free to answer w any info you may have on anything related to either profession! Would just love to gain more perspective on these careers :)