Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement...

Guest Talon01

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there'll be much movement until the 3rd week of June or so. Why? Cause that's when all schools should receive replies to their acceptance offers, and can let each other know who to take off the waitlists and all that, and then they can send out the next batch.. I think at least.

Guest Jooolia

I tried posting here the other day but it didn't let me, so I'll try again... I got a call from Ottawa on Friday with an offer of admission to the french programme - I wasn't expecting to hear anything (if at all) until after the 14th, so it was a great surprise! So just wanted to let you guys know that the waitlist is starting to move ...

Good luck everyone and look forward to meeting you all in the fall!

Julia

Guest doctorinthehouse

I think the waitlist starts moving as soon as they get some replies back (which is before the 14th). I don't think that they wait longer than they have to or talk to other schools. They want to get out the offers to waitlisters as soon as they can and try and get those people before the other schools do.

See, someone off the waitlist was already called, congrat's on that.

Guest avarrin2001

hmmm, could this "movement" be a special case, since it is the french stream at Ottawa U, or can we expect the anglo stream to have some movement as well?

Guest FrenchyMed

Both waitlists start moving as soon as people refuse their offer.

Since some people wait until the last possible moment before they make their choice, the waitlists tend to move towards mid-June.

Guest kayos

I just sent in my forms yesterday declining the offer from Ottawa so the waitlist should start moving soon (English Program). Good luck to those waiting!!

Guest avarrin2001

Thanks for letting us know Kayos :D

Best of luck at whatever other school you chose, and congratulations on getting in!

Guest niloo8448

To all of you on the wait list.. hang in there:)

I was in the same situation, and had totally given up when they finally called me.

I know a lot of people in my class got in from the wait list in July, and even August. The list will move a lot faster in about 3 weeks... so don't give up! ;)

niloo

Guest doctorinthehouse

when did you finally get the call?

do you know how many people are on the lists conpared to how many they take from the lists? (can you tell I'm on the list?)

Guest niloo8448

I got the call in the beginning of July.

If it's the same as last year, they interview about 450. the bottom 200 are bad listed, and from the top 250 the start accepting... so about 140 get accepted, and so about 110 are on the good list... roughly.

I have no idea exactly how many people get in from the list... it changes from year to year, and they don't really tell us.

You know what.. don't over analyze it., you'll drive yourself crazy. You just have to wait it out, which is really hard, but that's all you can do.

Best of luck,

niloo

Guest megs29

I mailed my rejection letter today, so one spot will be opening up in the English stream. Hopefully one of you will be hearing soon. Good luck!

Megs

Guest AMG82

Hey,

I also mailed in my rejection letter yesterday for the English stream, so there's another spot open! Good luck everyone!

A

Guest kayos

Although Ottawa seems like a nice city and the students I met at the interview were friendly, I just couldn't say no to Dalhousie. The curriculum (undergraduate.medicine.da...ars12.htm) is top-notch with lots of hospital/clinic time right from the get-go and the social life is hard to beat. Note: I also turned down U of T, mostly due to the ancient curriculum (aka non-PBL) and lack of clinical exposure. Halifax is just an amazing city and the relaxed east coast attitude and pass/fail grading system certainly doesn't hurt. ;)

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

I declined my acceptance last week too in favour of U of T.

The biggest driving force behind my decision was my family and boyfriend in Toronto. But, I am also drawn to the expertise of the faculty and the big hospitals, diverse programs and therefore opportunity in Toronto. I think I want to go into Pediatrics and HSC can't be beat!

That said, If I didn't have the choice, I would have very happily and eagerly gone to Ottawa as I was really impressed when I was there.

But given the choice, I just can't leave Toronto! There are lots of pros and cons to each school, and to some degree, I think I might have been happier with Ottawa's curriculum but it would stop there. In the end, overall, I know I will be happier in Toronto!

Good luck to all those waiting. I know how gruelling waitlists can be. I had that experience last summer. Just stay positive. It is the best thing to do.

Farmer

Guest avarrin2001

Are these responses mailed, emailed or phoned in? Just wondering how long it will take for the office to get these rejection responses :\ I think this waiting is going to drive me bonkers... this might be a very long summer

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hi Avvarin2001,

I totally know what you are going through. I was waitlisted last year and lead on until the last second and for me I didn't get in - but that was a US school and they do thing differently. They were sending me emails like a week before schools started asking me if I was still interested, and then still didn't offer me anything!!! It was horrible. Anyways, I know its not fun.

But, just so you know, I fedexed my decline of acceptance. They specifically ask on the admissions package that you send it in AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (they say it 2 or 3 times) and that you send it by special mail or courier. I would imagine that most people are sending in their responses via quick means - also the deadline is tomorrow so however they can, they have to get there by then.

I would think the initial hold up would have been on the end of the decision making and not the delivery of the decision but if they haven't decided by now, they don't have long!

I can't say what that will mean in terms of starting to go down the waitlist, but I hope that eases your anxiety somewhat.

Hang in there! Try to focus on enjoying your summer!!!

Farmer

Guest demon

I spoke to someone who was taken of the Ott waiting list last year and he said they phoned him... I'd imagine regular mail would take to long for a process that appears to have to happen fast. They may do it by e-mail though. I find it hilarious that we've waited like 9 months since we sent the applications in to get an e-mail that told us to wait longer, lol. I hear they are very prompt for this second round. Id imagine they will contact everyone for this wave on the same day, Tue, Wed or Thurs, but thats my speculation. I gotta hunch it'll be Tuesday... Hopefully we wont have to wait any longer.

Archived