Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement...

Guest Talon01

Guest everyoneloveschem

I did co-op, which seems to confuse all the schools because I didn't always have the 2 terms fall-winter. So I wonder if they count my entire summer term as summer courses and then don't count that year in the GPA or what...it was a nightmare to fill out on OMSAS, I had to email them for clarifications.

I figure I could write a pamphlet: How not to get into med school.

I took computer programming as my elective (!!!) first year on the recommendation of my mother (who did it with punch cards 20 years prior)...I can only say now "WHAT WAS I THINKING!?!"

Thus I have learned many things the slow hard way.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest doctorinthehouse

everyoneloveschem,

I did an honours degree (psych) in four years. I graduated after four and applied to med school, and didn't get an interview. My first two years were @#%$ and my last two were better, but still weren't that great. After my degree, I did a year of nursing (got a 4.0), and applied again for the next september, but since they hadn't seen my marks for nursing, once again, no interview. I wasn't really into the program, so I switched back to biology for this year and applied again (got another 4.0 but once again they didn't take these marks into consideration for the interviews). Finally, with the nursing marks jacking up my wGPA, I got an interview. Got waitlisted, but then got the call last week that I was in.

SO, my last two years were pretty random, but the point of them was just to raise my GPA. Overall, my gpa is probably around a 3.5 something (with all of my 6 years). But with Ottawa's wGPA, I have a 3.75 or something like that. So, you can do pretty bad in your first few years as long as your last one is good. I made sure, when doing the extra years, that I was full time so that they counted those grades.

So, that's about it. I guess they don't really care what classes you're taking as long as you have a full course load. My fifth year (nursing) was mostly first year classes, but since it was my last year, it got the most weight.

Any other questions, just ask. As you can see, I've applied three times and was prepared to apply again. It's all about wearing them down until they get so sick of your name that they let you in just to keep you quiet:D

My advice for people that have interviews is to get med students to give you interviews. I did that and I thought my interview couldn't have gone better. I even shocked myself at some of the good answers that I came up with.

Guest AliatUofT

good for you DITH

i too had horrible first 2 years... my GPA in year one was 2.8 and year two 2.1 (and i dropped 2 of my courses). I managed to turn it around though from year 3 through 5, my GPA over the last 3 years was roughly about ~3.7. i knew i would have no chance after my undergrad, so i did a MSc degree, my GPA was 4.0 (but since it was a research degree i only took 2 half courses). For me i think it was the MSc that did it. i published lots of papers and several abstracts and did a couple of presentations at meetings. This was my 3rd time applying to med school. i got all around rejections first time around. i got one interview at U of Ottawa last year (bad waitlist) and this time i got in to U of Ottawa.

I think doing the MSc was the best decision i have made so far in terms my education. It was the most educational period of my life, not just in terms of science, but lots of people skills, communication skills and just in general maturation. so i would recommend a MSc to anyone, of course not to mention, it will be really useful for residencies and fellowships down the road.

i guess in conclusion what anyone should get out of this is that u just have to better yourself, i know rejections are hard, believe me i have had my fair share of them, but u need to pick yourself up and try again and i promise it u it will happen.

cheers

Ali

Guest everyoneloveschem

Ya I was too, seeing as she said it would be sent out this week last Tuesday. It doesn't really make a difference, but lets me tell everyone with certainty that I am not getting in.

Guest everyoneloveschem

I'd call her, but I've already called her twice. I'm starting to wear out my welcome. Maybe if I'm not late next week and have the guts I'lll stop by her office after volunteering and check out what the hold up is.

Guest avarrin2001

I know what you mean :( I am afraid to call again as well.

Do you think if they do send out final rejection emails that they will maybe leave some ppl waiting, just in case one or two ppl end up deferring at some point in the summer? If anyone gets the nerve to call Nicole again, could you ask?

Guest ttryit

Just got my e-mail as well. It was a graphic of a Tim Horton's Roll-Up-The-Rim coffee cup with the rim rolled up saying "Please Play Again". I am enjoying playing the admissions game, so I think I will play again.

tt/

Guest demon

whats the number to call Nicole... Thought I might ask about deferals and if they can tell us where we are now that things have kinda shut down (ie 1st or 2nd in-line if there are people who defer)

Archived