Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement...

Guest Talon01

Guest doctorinthehouse

You're definitely not alone on that one. It appears that people still haven't been hearing anything. That could be a good thing though. The more people that hear, the lesser our chances of getting in!! (I mean we are all going for the same, limited, number of positions):\

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest demon

it would appear that there will be significant movement at queens (based on their message board). I would anticipate that Ott would be similar in this regard. I think tomorrow or wed they'll call a bunch of people. Obviously not hearing anything this week would be a bad thing and maybe next Monday I'll start to follow up on backup plans. But Im staying optimistic. Seems they call in bunches, so no news today isnt a bad thing cause it seems that noone got news today. Also from the TO board it sounds like ther will be little or no movement over there. But I guess this is all hearsay anyway. I have been told though that having not heard at this point isnt the end of the world.

I'd imagine that today is about updating lists now that the acceptances are firm and that they'll call people tomorrow (and hopefully Im one of them ;) )

Guest everyoneloveschem

Sounds good. I wasn't too worried, but reassurance is good.

If anyone gets called, and can actually keep their wits about them, ask (casually) how many people Nicole is calling and when she expects to call until. Then post that info. That way some relief may be provided to fellow waitlistees.

Granted if she called me I would probably be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Either that or pinching my self repetitively! Good luck!!

Guest everyoneloveschem

Bad news:

I finally called Nicole (I was sitting at home and it was killing me). She was very nice. She said that yesterday all the provisionals became firm and she had sent them all an email saying that they needed to have their deposits in by Friday. She thought that by next week they would be sending out the emails to waitlisters notifying them of the full class. So unless people don't cough up the $1000, the class is full. Sorry guys.

Guest doctorinthehouse

I GOT THE CALL TODAY, I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole said that she thought yesterday that the class was going to be full, but then there were some surprise dropouts.

SO, I'M GONNA BE A DOCTOR.

To those still on the list, KEEP HOPE. This just goes to show you that anything can happen, and you can get on, even when they think the class is full.

Keep the faith!!

Guest doctorinthehouse

Thanks a lot. I'm still in shock. I've been trying for this for so long now.

There were definitely a couple of other spots, so there will be others!!

Guest avarrin2001

congratulations!

it is so good to hear the list is actually moving.

Do you have any idea where you were on the list? I know they wont tell ppl waitlisted what number they are, but I am wondering if they will tell ppl when they are accepted?

Congratulations, again! Its so great! Go out and celebrate! :D

And for the rest of us... lets keep crossing our fingers

Guest doctorinthehouse

I'm not sure where I was on the list. I will be taking the forms in soon, so I will try and find out then and get back to you.

Definitely keep the fingers, toes, legs, and everything else crossed: it will happen.

It's definitely celebration time: this has been three years coming:D

Guest avarrin2001

Last week I had called Nicole Racine to ask if the class was filled and left a message on her voice mail. To my surprise, she called me back today. Apparently the class was filled last week, and then there were two seats that had opened up yesterday, so doctorinthehouse, you were one :) Anyway, other than those two seats, the class has been filled. She said she couldnt give me any information on where i was on the waitlist, nor could she give me much info on how to improve for next year, other than saying to enhance my interview skills and use this year as experience. So, I guess, unless someone drops out or changes their mind, there pretty much no movement. It was so nice of Nicole to return my call! I was very surprised...obviously hoping she was calling for other reasons, but at least she called :)

Guest avarrin2001

hahah oh man, isnt that a blow to the self esteem! haha that would actually be pretty funny.. the last two on the waitlist :rollin

Guess you have to have some sense of humour at this stage ;)

Guest everyoneloveschem

nope sorry, make that the last 3.

I also called Nicole in the hopes of getting a post-interview review, but no. She just said that since I had had an interview my package was competitive and I should reapply.

I wonder if they know the anguish we go through, waiting, working, waiting, trying to improve, it seems so cruel to give no feedback.

Guest avarrin2001

yup she said the same to me... since i got an interview this year, my ABS should be good enough to get me another interview next year, unless the competition increases dramatically. Which makes me think that there is something very wrong with this system. If they are going to reject me this year, why give me an interview next year?! And if we just suck at talking under the extreme stress of the most important interview of our lives, is that enough to make us wait a whole entire year and pay all this money to undergo the process again?

I also wonder if they have any idea how it feels to be on this end. Though i must say, Nicole was super nice, and I am sure she is helping as much as she is able to. Though it seems that NOMS is sending out emails to all waitlisters periodically letting them know what is going on, as well as giving ppl who were rejected post-interview feedback on how to improve. I dont see why other schools cant try to be a little more humane ;)

Guest tutifruiti

Congratulations to all applicants, you have chosen a very exciting and rewarding career! Good for you if you will be part of next year class of medicine, but please do not despair if you haven't receive any answer yet since during my year, acceptance letters were send all summer long up to 3-4 days before classes actually started: French and English streams. For those who would have receive a negative letter this year, you must reapply next year when you portfolio and will power will be even stronger.

Happy smiles!!!

Tin MEDs06

this board was a great ressource for me back when i applied to med school. It's time for me to give some back! Please email me if you have questions or need tips.

m_pea_tree@ hotmail.com

Guest everyoneloveschem

Yah avarrin, I know the feeling. It just sucks. This was my third year so far working at this, my 2nd trying for Ottawa. I feel I have tried so hard (took a biology course post degree for Ottawa, studied all summer and took the MCAT only to get a 34 M). I know there is more I could do: take the prereqs for other schools, do an MCAT course and rewrite, get a masters, etc. Its hard to know when to give up/take the hint. What is your plan B?

Guest miss83

Everyoneloveschem,

What year are you in? I just finished my 3rd, but not quite (finished the 2nd year of my program, had to take 2 yrs for it in order to fit in the pre-reqs). Anyways, I was totally devastated when I found out I was waitlisted (I'm on the French list so it's even worse), but now I'm looking ahead. I'm going to re-do the MCAT at the end of the summer, I got a passable score 9-10-11 P, so I qualified for all the MCAT schools but queen's, but I'm going to try again, do everything to make my chances for next year better. Anyways, my personal plan B has been physiotherapy from the start (that's my undergrad degree), so we'll see how it turns out. I still have 2 yrs left to finish it up. In any case, I totally understand how you feel, but there are so so many people who didn't get in after a couple of tries, many people did do a masters and things like that, if you really want it, it will happen for you, just be persistent. I'm applying to the English program next year, hopefully I'll have more luck with that. Best of luck to you in waiting, I hope things turn out okay eventually, and I'm sure they will.

Guest avarrin2001

Everyoneloveschem,

I know what you mean. I have decided that I will try three times (this was my second), and if i dont get in by then, well, I assume that maybe I am wrong in thinking I am right for the profession. My plan B for now is to find a job (just finished my MSc) and somehow try to practice my interview skills (that was all Nicole could tell me to work on since they dont comment on our actual files). I may take a couple evening classes, but right now, i am not even sure of what city I will chose to live in (totally depends on where i find a job). Hopefully something will work out :D

Guest waterbottle2

Hey guys,

They say not to re-apply at Ottawa after you are rejected three times. I applied a fourth time and surprise, surprise, I got in to Ottawa medical school! And my fourth interview was the worst interview I had out of the four. I also got into NOMS. Keep trying! I'm sure it will work out!

ttyl

Guest everyoneloveschem

I am now on my third year post BSc. I have HBSc in chemistry. My overall GPA isn't the greatest (3.52 I think) because of a rotten start at university but with WGPA it cleans up nicely. I got a 34M MCAT score, but the M kills its usefulness.

I don't know what to do. I am not getting any younger and I would like to get married and have a family before I am too old.

I am trying to bounce around options: Masters, Nursing, Pharmacy, something creative...I'm not sure. I am trying to find a good career counsellor to help me find some direction (its hard when you like so many things!). There are many options but they all require work, so I want to make a good decision before I forge ahead and get stuck in a second sandpit (note: I do not regret the things I have done to pursue medicine, it is just frustrating to have it go nowhere).

We'll see...I think I will reapply to Mac and UofO. (I wish Mac instituted using the MCAT VR section, that could really help me out).

Guest waterbottle2

I totally understand your position. To tell you the truth, I had pretty much accepted that I wasn't going to become a doctor and when I actually got in I was in a position where I had already starting focusing on other things I loved to do in my life. I also dearly want to get married and have a family so, the decision to go to medical school is hard when you reach your later twenties, more so for a women I guess than for a man.

ttyl

Guest doctorinthehouse

If this is your dream, then for sure don't give up.

I finally got in my third time applying. I had to do two years after I got my degree to raise my gpa, since my first two years kept bringing it down.

This was the first year that I got an interview.

I have talked to a few doctors in ottawa that tried three or four times before they got in. They have all said, however, that they would do it all over again if they had to, they love it so much.

So, don't give up. I know how hard it is: trust me I know, but it will all be worth it in the end.

Guest everyoneloveschem

Doctorinthehouse,

How did you do two extra years? Did you just not graduate? Were they two extra years in your subject? Or did you go back? I too am dragging around a poor 1st and 2nd year.

Guest avarrin2001

Count me in on the very bad 1st and 2nd years. You take a little bit longer to learn how to do this university thing and it haunts you forever :x

What REALLY sucks for me is that my very, very first term in university, I dropped one course because I had no clue what I was doing. Overall, I end up being 0.25 credits too short for UofT's wGPA (you have to have take full course loads every term, and if you do, you get to drop your lowest mark each year... or something along those lines... would have really helped) :lol

Archived