Premed 101 Forums

Question about med. pre-req

Guest archchivalry

Guest archchivalry

Hello.

I surfed around many medical school

websites and looked for admissions.

They showed me that I need some pre-reqs.

(Like Biology, Chemistry, English, Humanities)

Is the pre-req for what year of University?

Is it any level of University?(Even first year?)

and also does the difficulty of the course matter?

Also what are humanities course?

Is Humanity = arts, foreign languages?

and social science = History, and others?

Is it possible to take pre-reqs in summer session?

I have other question about chatting.

Is there any specific time when all people get together

and discuss in this forum?

Thanks

Guest aneliz

Yes, you could use a 1st year level chemistry or English course to satisfy the pre-req. What you can't use is a 'final year high school equivalent' credit offered by your university...or a 'science for arts students' course. It needs to be a mainstream, regular credit course. I think most of us used first year chemistry and biology courses to meet the pre-reqs.

Humanities = English, other languages, philosophy, religion, history, classical studies, drama, music, fine arts

Social science = economics, sociology, anthropology, psychology, political science, geography.

Yes you can take pre-reqs in the summer. But the marks will generally not count towards your GPA (unless you are applying to a school that calculates a cGPA - like Mac)

There is no time that everyone gets together to chat on this forum...although there are usually quite a few people here ~11 PM EST I have found.

Guest Dare2B

hmm... that’s interesting.

Psychology is listed as a social science by most med schools, but at UofT (undergrad) it is listed as a science.

so if the course is considered a science by UofT, does that mean that when we apply to med school, they will look at that curse in the same manner. or will it be counted as a social science.?

Thanks

Guest blinknoodle

Dare,

I know exactly what you mean. At Mac psych it is also considered as a science. I had a lots of non-science courses, so it wasn't like I only had 1 or 2, but I am fairly confident my psych course was ok for Ottawa, Queen's and Western. For Toronto it was considered a "life science". If I recall correctly though, some medical schools defaulted to your home university definition and others ignored them. I just can't remember which was which.

Cheers,

-bn

At Queen's, psych can be considered either an arts course or a science course. You can also graduate with either a BA or a BSc in psych.

Aside from course pre-reqs, I believe places like UWO Meds require that 2/3 of the courses you take each year must be at your year level (i.e. if you're in 2nd year, 2/3 of your courses must be 200-level courses).

Can anyone confirm this (for UWO/UofT or any other med school)?

Guest CTU24

Jixe...here's the answer to your year level question via the U of T website:

Applicants are expected to have taken courses at a level corresponding with the year of their program. For example, a student who applies for admission while registered in the third year of undergraduate work should have at least three third year or higher courses in his/her program.

I hope that answers your question.

CTU24

Guest mitchie41

Does anyone know if this applies to 4th year too?

Or has anyone applied without having 60% of their courseload in 4th year at the 400-level?

If you're not an honours student, you're probably not going to be taking many 4th year courses. In fact, most major programmes don't require ANY 4th year courses.

Good point mitchie.

Most schools have life science courses at the 200/300-level.

Because of this rule, I'll be prohibited from taking a few 100-level courses next year (even though these courses are normally taken in 2nd year).

Archived