Premed 101 Forums

doubting the debt

Guest seonagh

Guest Lakers4life

I hafta admit I learned this from Seinfeld...and no doubt those writers are a lot smarter that us so it must be the truth...doctors goto med school.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest strider2004

Would you go to Dr Evil for a checkup? I mean, he went to Evil medical school and all...

I think this thread really is much ado about nothing. But hopefully, people don't choose medical school just so people can call them 'doctor'.

My mom calls her dentist doctor all the time. I often ask her which doctor is she talking about, the one that gaver her a physical or the one that fixed her teeth.

Guest quebecboy
doctors goto med school.
So then, dentists or optometrists, or even osteopaths that do orthopedic surgery day in, day out, but didn't go to med school aren't docs? :rolleyes . They sure as heck worked as hard as MD's to get their diplomas, and are as devoted to their patients as any MD. And my genetics teacher who did a post-doctoral degree during who knows how many years isn't a doctor, but the med student who was taught by him is?

Quebecboy

Guest Lakers4life

Man...didn't know this was such a serious topic with everyone. Sure everyone is a doctor, but not everyone is referred to as being a doctor.

quebecboy: Are as devoted as any MD? Work as hard as any MD? You wanna go ask a family doc up North if they agree with that statement?

Guest strider2004

This is a touchy subject for everyone because the idea of MDs being the only real doctors is very exclusionary. There shouldn't be any reason NOT to call anybody who has earned their doctorate, doctor. I always called my friends' parents 'Dr (insert surname here)' if they were MDs, PhDs, whatever.

I only have a problem with the 'doctor' term - if people try to overstep their area of expertise. If a PhD in English Lit goes on tv and starts selling a diet pill as a 'doctor', then I get upset. Otherwise, why shouldn't a health professional who has earned their doctorate deserve that title and be called by that title? In the hospital, I get called doctor all the time and officially, I have as much of an MD as a chiropractor or dentist.

I was trying hard to think of a good analogy and I've finally found one that might work. I'm a Canadian citizen. I immigrated here when I was 2 years old and was sworn in when I was 8. However, some people would say that I'm not Canadian. I'm just an immigrant. A true Canadian is born and bred here in Canada. There are many ways(ok probably 2) to get to be a canadian but in the end, it's the same result. Right? See how this could be a issue?

Guest quebecboy

The thing is, yes the majority of MD's are devoted, regardless if they work up north or in the big cities, but I doubt that a dentist (in this case residing up north), just because he's a dentist and doesn't hold the title MD, would not be as devoted to his patients than the MD.

Guest Mimicat65

Someone graduating from dental school gets a diploma that says:

John(Jane) Doe, DDS.

DDS stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery..... sounds like an appropriate "Dr" title to me.;)

Edited to say: BTW, this board is starting to sound alot like SDN, don't you think:lol :lol :lol

Guest Lakers4life

DDS = doctor of dental surgery...wow...never knew that...have I once said that dentists are not doctors by title? I ment by profession [ie - the public doesn't say I am seeing my doctor, they say dentist.]

Watch the Seinfeld episode if you don't understand the difference b/w by profession and by title.

Guest Lakers4life

Thanks for your vote of confidence...anyways hopefully we can put this thread to rest...clearly my opinion is in the minority, so I must be wrong and admit that.

Sorry Ian:

I just realized how that could seem as a personal attack. Sorry about that, I'm actually in Laker4lifes class, I was just describing him to see if was the same person in my class, who often subscribes to the "hieracrchy in medicine"

Archived