Premed 101 Forums

academic advice: upgrading GPA from previous degree

Guest footballmd

Guest footballmd

Just looking for a little academic advice.I've taken a long and round about journey to medicine but now realize being a doc is what I want. I completed a B.A in mid 80's with lousy GPA but am currently enrolled in Practical Nursing at a cc in Ontario and want to either do a new degree when I finish or find a way to upgrade my GPA with additional courses. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Guest Elaine I

Hi footballmd,

I am also a "non-traditional" applicant. I spent three years at university (1995-1998), and unfortunately, did not do well. My lack of success was not due to ability, but instead a lack of focus, maturity and motivation. I eventually left university (prior to graduating...or even writing my last set of finals - which I don't recommend for ANY reason, even if you think it will never matter, it might!!) and completed the paramedic program at college.

I started working as a paramedic in 1999, and in 2001, after discovering that some schools (specifically Western and Queen's within Ontario) wouldn't hold my previous failures against me, I returned to university. I enrolled in a degree completion program (Health Services Management at Ryerson University), which gave me credit for completing a college health care program, and having work experience. Thus, it only took me two full time years to complete all of the requirements. (I actually started part-time - on probation - and then finished with a more than full time course load once I had completed enough credits to bring my overall GPA to an acceptable place.)

Because I only had one full time year of university at that point, I enrolled in a "Special Year" as defined by Western, as opposed to completing a second entire degree. I now have two years of full time studies with a GPA of 3.76, and have applied to Western, Queen's, NOSM (though they won't tell me if my GPA is acceptable, because they won't disclose GPA calculations for non-typical degree earners), Toronto (requesting GPA consideration due to my much higher marks upon returning to university) and Calgary. My MCAT will elimate my Queen's applications, but I'm still hoping for at least one interview somewhere.

Given your age, and I'm guessing, your desire to complete your requirements for medicine as soon as possible, I suggest you look into either degree completion programs (Ryerson and Athabasca both offer them - there may be others as well.) or degrees where you can get significant numbers of transfer credits. Since Western is going to require a 4 year honours degree, and they are one of the few schools that will completely ignore past poor grades, it would make the most sense to complete a four year honours degree. The admissions office at UWO told me that my Bachelor of Health Administration is equivalent, since my school defines it as a degree that will allow entrance to a Masters in Health Administration program.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

Elaine

Guest footballmd

Thanks for the reply Elaine. I'll check out ryerson and athabasca. I'll need to do my degree by distance so athabasca is probably best bet. did you continue working while doing your degree. If so, how manageable was the workload.

thanks

Guest Elaine I

Hi footballmd,

Yes, I continued to work full time while going to school. In fact, I had two jobs - one full time and one part time - while taking 7.0 and 8.0 courses (ie: more than a full course load). I still managed to stay involve in a couple of extra-curricular activities, to a significant degree. For me, that was important, and will continue to be during med school. The volunteer activities that I do are part of who I am, and I can't imagine stopping them in order to go to school.

As far as the workload... It was heavy, and even difficult at times. However, I have no regrets. My employer was extremely supportive, and allowed me to move my shifts around in order that I could attend classes. (I worked weekends 2pm to 2am for eight months.) During 2004-05, I was finishing my level 3 training, so I wasn't able to flex my hours in the same manner. Thus, I took an entirely distance ed program. I actually found that more difficult, since I learn from interacting with others, and even though the courses were well written, the interaction was lacking.

Were there sacrifices along the way? I'm sure that there were, but none that I can identify. I was definately busier than if I had just done my degree the first time, when I wasn't working. However, I know I also learned a lot (especially about time management) by following the path I did. I also know it would have been extremely difficult for me to give up my job for 8 months in order to go back to school. Since my union dictates that I either work full time or take a leave of absence (or quit!), I chose to continue to work full time.

I look at it this way. I would have regretted NOT doing everything I did for the past couple of years. I need to try to follow my dream, and that meant full time university while working. Not working wasn't an option, so doing both became a reality. I certainly don't regret my decision.

Hope that helps,

Elaine

• 1 year later...

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for your post. I'm kind of in the same boat. Studied engineering, worked for a year, and then made the plunge into preparing for med school. My engineering GPA wasn't great, so now I'm studying biochemistry in order to get the prerequisites that a lot of schools asks for, and raise my GPA. My question is in regards to U of T. An admission officer told me that in order for my GPA to be competitive, it should be at least a 3.8, and even if I get straight A's for the next couple of years, it'll be a while before it goes up to a 3.8 if all of my marks are taken into consideration. What is the GPA consideration at U of T you mentioned in your post? My marks in my first year of biochem were awesome, and it looks like I'll be able to pull off the same kinds of marks this year. Is there any way that U of T will weigh my second degree more than my first?

Thanks for your help,

Ada

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for your post. I'm kind of in the same boat. Studied engineering, worked for a year, and then made the plunge into preparing for med school. My engineering GPA wasn't great, so now I'm studying biochemistry in order to get the prerequisites that a lot of schools asks for, and raise my GPA. My question is in regards to U of T. An admission officer told me that in order for my GPA to be competitive, it should be at least a 3.8, and even if I get straight A's for the next couple of years, it'll be a while before it goes up to a 3.8 if all of my marks are taken into consideration. What is the GPA consideration at U of T you mentioned in your post? My marks in my first year of biochem were awesome, and it looks like I'll be able to pull off the same kinds of marks this year. Is there any way that U of T will weigh my second degree more than my first?

Thanks for your help,

Ada

Hi Ada,

Have you always been a full time student? If so, U of T will apply their weighting formula, which will help eliminate some of your lower marks. If not, all of your marks will be considered in your GPA. However, you can write a letter to U of T asking for "special consideration" of your GPA. Given how many years have passed since your first degree, you may have a strong case. However, I've never been involved in U of T admissions, so I really don't know.

There are schools that are more "forgiving" with regard to slower starts to university. I applied to Queen's, Western and Dalhousie, since they don't consider your overall GPA, but instead just two years. (Queen's considers either your overall or your 2-year GPA.) Other schools may have weighting formulas that will help you. Essentially, if you have a strong 2-year GPA plus a strong MCAT, there may be some schools you are not eligible for, but there are others that would be happy to have you.

Best wishes!

Elaine

Archived