Premed 101 Forums

Which Schools Are OOP Friendly?

Guest Jazz

First of all, good luck to all those on the waitlist. Unfortuantely for me, I was one of those rejected post interview by UBC this yr. I plan to apply to other schools next time around and wonder if anyone could tell me which schools has the least bias against OOP's. Thanks.

Guest also in limbo

Jazz,

I'm assuming you're a BC resident? I am as well, and here is what I discovered this year:

I know Queen's has no bias towards OOP applicants, and the first year class told me there are at least 15 BC residents (in a class of 100) in their year. Toronto doesn't seem to mind either, but I'm not sure about Ottawa or Western (I was rejected without interview at Ottawa, and didn't apply to Western). Both Calgary and Alberta reserve 15% of their class for OOP. I wouldn't recommend Manitoba unless your marks are stellar, as they only interview the top 50 OOP GPAs (my marks weren't high enough, but I know someone whose were: 89%, MCAT 14, 13, 8, P).

I'm not too sure about other schools, but I'm wishing I had tried Dalhousie, as I think they are as considerate as the Alberta schools towards OOPs (but don't quote me on that!)

I hope this helps - I have been waitlisted at 4 schools and I know how it feels to be clinging to every possible statistic!Best of luck!!

Guest lcloh

Western has no bias against OOP applicants any more than any other Ontario resident. There is a slight bias to SWO residents, but that affects non-SWO (SouthWestern Ontario) applicants as much as OOP applicants (i.e. it's not a provincial bias)

Guest Namgalsip

As far as I know, once to make the GPA cutoffs at Ottawa (which are higher than in-province), there are no more biases. After that, you fall into the same pool as everyone else.

Nams

Guest vincecarterxv

I took that course in my second year back in 2001; I thought I did well (88%), but when I got my transcript it showed that the class average was 78%! I think there were a lot of keeners in that course, and many people who took that course had a descent background in Anat (have studied cranial nerves in the past). I hadn't any background in cranial nerves, but I scored well; however, an 88 doesn't look as good when the class average is so high. A tun of Physiology etc. students take that course, and bring the average up. BUT, I learned a lot, and it was interesting. Just don't fall too far behind; it's a shame to cram for--the stuff is intriguing and useful.

Guest vincecarterxv

OOPs! <--no pun intended, talk about posting in the wrong thread! That was supposed to be under "electives".:rollin

Archived